Support for Apple M1 Silicon?

Does mongodb work with the new Apple M1 Silicon macs? The question also applies for MongoDB Compass.

Would love to know if there’s a public roadmap or issue tracker for this.

Thank you!

3 Likes

Welcome to the community forums @Edrich_Chua!

Apple Silicon (aka ARM64 on macOS) is not a Supported Platform yet for MongoDB server or database tools.

Some relevant issues to watch in the Jira issue tracker are:

Although there appear to be some required upstream dependency updates to get native M1 support implemented (for example, MozJS for the MongoDB server and Electron for Compass), it should be possible to run current Intel binaries using the M1’s Rosetta Translation Environment. However, this is not an environment that we have thoroughly tested with MongoDB products yet and there will be some performance overhead for Rosetta translation.

The generally available M1 Macs have only been out for a few weeks now, but I expect platform support to improve as they become more widely adopted and tested.

Regards,
Stennie

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I would like to reiterate the prior question (Support for Apple M1 Silicon), in order to see if there might be an update on the following question:

"Does mongodb work with the new Apple M1 Silicon macs? The question also applies for MongoDB Compass.

Would love to know if there’s a public roadmap or issue tracker for this.

Thank you!"

Thanks Again,

1 Like

:wave: Welcome to the MongoDB Community @Gregory_Baker!

The relevant public issues to watch for native Apple Silicon support are still as per my answer above. You can subscribe to updates by Watching issues in the MongoDB Jira issue tracker (which uses the same Single Sign-On login as the forums).

As I mentioned, you can run Intel binaries using the M1’s Rosetta Translation environment but this isn’t an officially supported or tested platform for MongoDB applications yet. Intel applications will generally work fine in Rosetta, but you may encounter unexpected issues.

So far MongoDB Server (4.4.5) & Compass (1.26.1) appear to be working fine via Rosetta for my limited development and testing experiments. I currently do more of my development on an Intel MacBook because I have run into some annoying issues with some of my other Intel binaries that haven’t been updated yet. Older Electron apps tend to crash, and I noticed the Electron site has a warning about significant performance degradation with Rosetta 2.

If you’re trying to decide whether to use a Mac with Apple Silicon as your sole computing environment, you might find isapplesiliconready.com handy for checking community feedback on some common applications.

If you are concerned about possible performance or compatibility issues with an Intel mongod server process running via Rosetta, connecting to an externally hosted server or service like MongoDB Atlas is a good alternative.

Regards,
Stennie

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.