Point M0 cluster to existing M10 cluster that is in the same region and account

I have two clusters in my MongoDB Atlas account, one is M0 and is in Free tier. Other one is, M10 and is in Dedicated Cluster tier. Both these clusters reside in the same region AWS / Frankfurt (eu-central-1). The need is, I have to upgrade my M0 cluster for growing connections and the data storage. But instead of upgrading the cluster, I just want it to be pointed to the M10 cluster that I already have in my account. Is there a way of doing this through MongoDB Atlas? or I will have to upgrade the cluster?

Reason for not upgrading the same cluster (M0) is, when I tried upgrading it, there appears a warning that says

Note: Upgrading your cluster to a dedicated tier is irreversible. You can make other cluster changes at any time.

and I don’t want to have two dedicated clusters as it will add to cost.

Hi @Avani_Khabiya,

But instead of upgrading the cluster, I just want it to be pointed to the M10 cluster that I already have in my account. Is there a way of doing this through MongoDB Atlas? or I will have to upgrade the cluster?

Unfortunately you cannot point the M0 cluster to the M10 cluster if you are wishing to join these up.

You would have to upgrade the M0. However, if not required, you do not have to jump to M10 straight away. There are the M2 and M5 shared tiers as well.

Reason for not upgrading the same cluster (M0) is, when I tried upgrading it, there appears a warning that says

Note: Upgrading your cluster to a dedicated tier is irreversible. You can make other cluster changes at any time.

Yes, this is correct in that you cannot downgrade an M10+ tier cluster back down to a M0,M2 or M5. You would need to perform a mongodump and mongorestore if you wish to transfer your data back from an M10+ tier cluster down to the M0,M2 or M5 tiers.

and I don’t want to have two dedicated clusters as it will add to cost.

As advised above, there is the option of M2 and M5 shared tier clusters as well.

Best Regards,
Jason

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.