How can I shut up (quiet) only certain logging components, keep others active?

hi gurus,

we run community version 4.4.2 on 90 shards of 3 shard servers each, on Ubuntu 18.04, XFS filesystems, LXC containers (= 1 shard server per container, per filesystem) on 36 physical servers (HP Proliant DL380 dual CPU, >=130GB RAM)

We do NOT run any queries. We are ONLY (so far) loading data with “mongoimport”.

The CPUs of nearly all physical servers are dramatically loaded (“uptime” figures of > 300 !!), no processes are ‘blocked’ on I/O (such as filesystem activities), no shortage at all of RAM (“free” shows > 60GB free RAM on each server).

Still the crazy CPU load causes many delays between the shard servers trying to connect to each other, and very regularly a shard server (“mongod” process) shuts down because it failed to connect (NetworkTimeout).

One possible cause that I investigate now for the high CPU usages, is the massive amounts of logs generated by the “mongod” processes: some 2G lines per day.

To reduce this, I found that we can configure the quiet logging, but this seems to quiet ALL components of the logging. I would like to quiet only certain components, such as the “NETWORK” component (contributes to some 80% of our logs).

All log verbosity is already set to 0 (= lowest possible value).

Is it possible to set the “quiet” config option only on some specific components, such as

systemLog:
  component:
    accessControl:
      quiet:1

The documentation describes only the possibility to set “quiet” for ALL syslogging:

systemLog:
  quiet: 1