Hardware Recommendations For Community Server

Hi All,
I am planning to build a database using MogoDB Community Server that will store roughly 20 GB of data and 8 million documents. I would like to build a Windows 10 tower PC for use with the database and right now I am looking at an AMD CPU with 16 cores and 32 GB of RAM, but do not know if this is overkill, under powered, or just about right. I am also assuming that I can go with a lower end GPU, since I am not interested in gaming, rendering, etc. Also, regarding processing time, I am hoping to get results in seconds rather than minutes if possible. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Hi David,

Thanks for asking. Not an expert here, take this with a grain of salt.

Looking at the Hardware Considerations for Production (https://docs.mongodb.com/manual/administration/production-notes/#hardware-considerations) I think you’re in the safe side, most probably 32GB RAM for just running the MongoDB Community Server are overkill but you know the saying: “The more harddisk and memory you’ll have, the happier you’ll be”.

Don’t think GPU is key here, but using the fastest possible M.2 NVMe drives does count. Not all M.2 drives are NVMe, some are SATA and are then capped by SATA max data transfer speeds.

Hope this helps.

P.S.: hurry up buying hardware because SSDs are getting more expensive (same that happened with graphic cards) because they’re now also used to mine Bitcoins…

1 Like

Hi Diego,

The link to the “Hardware Considerations” is very helpful. Also, thanks for the heads up on the Bitcoin issue! I have heard yesterday that it was affecting high end graphics cards, but not the SSDs.

Dave

1 Like