Windows 10 + Hyper V

Unfortunately, I am using a Windows 10 that has Hyper-V installed. I am therefore unable to install Virtualbox.
Is it still possible to use Vagrant ? (in this context I guess the windows version.

I do have an Ubuntu VM already( ver. 18.04.1 LTS) managed by the Hyper-V. Can I run the Vagrant there? (Linux version).

Is Vagrant an absolute requirement for the course? Can I do with just installing mongodb on the Ubuntu WM directly?

Thanks for any insight.

Hi rodelllizaso,

Yes, you can. Try this:

Please try these steps and let me know if nothing works:

* Enable virtualization in the BIOS.
* Make sure you have Hyper-V turned off in Windows 10 For Windows 10: Press Windows key. Type “Turn Windows features on or off” Deselect checkbox next to Hyper-V. Select OK. Select Restart now.

Please refer here: Problem Running Vagrant on Ubuntu 18.04

Maybe. We do recommend VM so that noone has to actually have to setup the environment. But if you have Ubuntu, install MongoDB, setup your config files and for validation codes, download from here: Download Validation files

Let me know if you need more help. But expect a delay in my response as I am OOO this week but I will do my best. :slight_smile:

Kanika

As you have found, Hyper-V locks virtualization whether virtual machines are running or not (unlike VMWare and VirtualBox). As long as Hyper-V is enabled, other hypervisors cannot run, including VirtualBox (and therefore Vagrant). Disabling Hyper-V is a workaround, but if you have any software that requires Hyper-V (such as Docker for Windows) then that option is not very good.

What I recommend in that case is nested virtualization. Create a virtual machine in Hyper-V that runs whatever OS you want – and then install Vagrant on that! By default, hypervisors do not expose the VT-x extensions to virtual machines, which prevents nesting – VirtualBox will say that the virtual machine is not capable of virtualization. However, VT-x is pretty easy to enable. With the virtual machine powered down, run the following PowerShell command:

Set-VMProcessor -VMName <VMName> -ExposeVirtualizationExtensions $true

After that command is run, the virtual machine will have VT-x enabled and you can install VirtualBox and Vagrant on it normally. As for your guest VM, there is no problem running Vagrant on an Ubuntu virtual machine.

Keep in mind that Vagrant will use VirtualBox to create virtual machines from your VM’s RAM. So if you want your Vagrant VM to have 4-GB RAM, make sure your Ubuntu VM has 5-GB or so.

Hi All,
I have windows 8 and unable to install vagrant

Hi @Sushil_90850,

Can you please share the error message that you are getting so that we can understand the issue?

Thanks,
Muskan
Curriculum Support Engineer

Hi Muskan, Hyper-V option is not coming in windows 8

Hi @Sushil_90850,

Please refer to the following thread for a solution and please let us know if you need further help with this.

Thanks,
Muskan
Curriculum Support Engineer

Hi @Sushil_90850,

Please check the following links to disable Hyper-v in windows 8:

Let me know, if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Sonali