Why this course doesn't provide a step by step stet up instruction?

I just finished M101 which is easy to follow as it provides a step by step instructions of setting up the lab environment.

I am wondering if the instructor can provide a step by step instruction for my IMAC environment, such as :
step 1: download the virtual box . step 2…

The lab instruction say “Bring up your Vagrant environment by running these commands”…should I run/setup virtual box first?

Sorry I am new to mongodb…would appreciate a more detail step by step instruction…since you cannot go further without setting up the environment.

Thanks

Why this course doesn’t provide a step by step stet up instruction?

Because this course is a training for system administrators. I think it’s fair that MongoU expects some level of prior knowledge with regards to the operating system you’re working with.

“Bring up your Vagrant environment by running these commands”…should I run/setup virtual box first?

Yes. You should install both Vagrant and VirtualBox before moving forward with the VMs themselves.

Hi yutao100,

I am sorry for your experience. Please check my post here. I tried listing all the necessary steps.

Let me know if I missed something.

Kanika

1 Like

Thanks Kanika!

My “vagrant up --provision” is running…however I am seeing bold message saying “==> mogod-m103: Box ‘ubuntu/trusty64’ could not be found. Attempting to find and install…”

I am using apple a laptop …and it seems to be downloading something

Does that sound right to you?

That is exactly right :slight_smile:

Vagrant needs to download a virtual machine (VM), which is built using Ubuntu Linux… We’ll be doing our labs on a virtual Linux computer that runs inside your Mac. Isn’t technology great? :smiley:

But seriously, virtualization is awesome! On my Macbook Air I have just enough resources to run MacOS with applications, plus VMWare (a virtualization platform like VirtualBox) which runs two Windows 2012 servers and two Linux systems. Dude! That’s one computer acting like five computers! How neat is that?

1 Like

yes, virtualization is awesome!

I am still confusing even if my lab works: did I download virtualbox before, which is a VM, right? why Vagrant need to download a VM again, and that VM is build with a Ubuntu linux OS?

What is the role of that virutalbox we first downloaded?

What is exactly the Vagrant? is it just an app that download and build a new VM using Ubuntu Linux?

1 Like

There is of course always Google, right?

VirtualBox is a virtualization platform, like Qemu and VMWare Fusion. It’s mostly intended for small environments like testbeds on your laptop, desktop or private server. It’s big brothers would include Xen and VMWare ESX.

Vagrant is an automation tool that allows you to quickly spin up a new VM that is pre-configured. The Vagrant config for M103 downloads a stock Ubuntu VM and then configures the networking and adds things like MongoDB.

I’d appreciate less assumption on the part of the lectures and more thought to stepping through basics. Thanks to Leyla on this channel, I installed the VM ware including vagrant, having reconfigured my Bios, but now I don’t know how to run Mongod.
I changed my directory prompt to the university/m103/m103… and have gone through the same steps as last night when I installed.
vagrant up vagrant provision and, if the vagrant provision ever finishes, I’ll run vagrant ssh.
Maybe then I’ll be able to run Mongod.
I really don’t know.

All of those questions are covered in M001, the introduction to MongoDB. Did you take that course Brian?