Vagrant up --provision issue on Windows 7

Hi,
I am installing the vagrant and it said 1st to upgrade powershell 2.0 to 3.0. So I upgraded it. But later on it gets failed and the failure message is:

There was an error while executing `VBoxManage`, a CLI used by Vagrant
for controlling VirtualBox. The command and stderr is shown below.

Command: ["hostonlyif", "create"]

Stderr: 0%...
Progress state: E_INVALIDARG
VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to create the host-only adapter
VBoxManage.exe: error: Assertion failed: [!aInterfaceName.isEmpty()] at 'F:\tind
erbox\win-6.0\src\VBox\Main\src-server\HostNetworkInterfaceImpl.cpp' (76) in lon
g __cdecl HostNetworkInterface::init(class com::Bstr,class com::Bstr,class com::
Guid,enum __MIDL___MIDL_itf_VirtualBox_0000_0000_0044).
VBoxManage.exe: error: Please contact the product vendor!
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_FAIL (0x80004005), component HostNetworkI
nterfaceWrap, interface IHostNetworkInterface
VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: "enum RTEXITCODE __cdecl handleCreate(struct Han
dlerArg *)" at line 94 of file VBoxManageHostonly.cpp

Please help me.

EDITED:

I uninstalled the Virtual Box and again installed it. It is processing from 2 hours but not get completed. The cursor is blinking after the line:

mongod-m103: Selecting previously unselected package mongodb-enterprise-tool

s.
mongod-m103: Preparing to unpack …/mongodb-enterprise-tools_3.6.17_amd64.d
eb …
mongod-m103: Unpacking mongodb-enterprise-tools (3.6.17) …

Is it really takes too much time to get completed or is there some issues?

Hi @Vishal_14458,

I’m seeing a lot of hostonlyif related errors in the forums lately. Please share the following details :

Version of VirtualBox
Version of Vagrant

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan
Curriculum Services Engineer

Version Of:

VirtualBox - 6.0.16
Vagrant - 2.2.7

Let’s see a screenshot of the error message you get when you create the private host-only network adapter manually:

On VirtualBox > File menu > Host Network Manager > click Create > *** it may fail here ***
If it doesn’t fail > click Properties > edit the properties to this:

Thanks but till then I had uninstalled it. Could you please go through the Edited Post?

Hi @Vishal_14458,

Generally it’s not a good practice to edit your original post if you have already got responses on it. You can create additional posts in the thread to communicate any updates.

No it doesn’t.

Can you please uninstall Vagrant 2.2.7 and install the 2.2.6 version of it ? Generally this is not the preferred way of debugging an issue but I just want to make sure that it’s not the latest version of Vagrant that is causing this issue.

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan

Hi @Vishal_14458,

I can see that you have completed this Lab: Setting Up the Vagrant Environment successfully. Can you please confirm that your issue got resolved and what worked for you ?

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan

Yes, my issue has successfully resolved. In my case, lots of processes were running in the background, so it was not getting the required memory for the virtual box. For this, simply I changed the value of “vb.memory” to 1024 instead of 2048 in Vagrantfile.
And It is running smoothly.