"Vagrant up --provision" failing at "Booting VM" stage

running vagrant 2.2.0
virtual box 5.1.38
windows machine 64bit

I’m having an issue setting up my vm. When I run the “vagrant up --provision” command I get this output:
Bringing machine ‘mongod-m103’ up with ‘virtualbox’ provider…
==> mongod-m103: Clearing any previously set forwarded ports…
==> mongod-m103: Clearing any previously set network interfaces…
==> mongod-m103: Preparing network interfaces based on configuration…
mongod-m103: Adapter 1: nat
mongod-m103: Adapter 2: hostonly
==> mongod-m103: Forwarding ports…
mongod-m103: 22 (guest) => 2222 (host) (adapter 1)
==> mongod-m103: Running ‘pre-boot’ VM customizations…
==> mongod-m103: Booting VM…
There was an error while executing VBoxManage, a CLI used by Vagrant
for controlling VirtualBox. The command and stderr is shown below.

Command: [“startvm”, “83edcd03-13fe-4c3e-ad4a-04222015ad5a”, “–type”, “headless”]

Stderr: VBoxManage.exe: error: VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_FAIL (0x80004005), component ConsoleWrap, interface IConsole

Even I get the same error. How can this be fixed? Lab completes today. Any help on fixing this will be great.

vagrant up
Bringing machine ‘mongod-m103’ up with ‘virtualbox’ provider…
==> mongod-m103: Clearing any previously set forwarded ports…
==> mongod-m103: Clearing any previously set network interfaces…
==> mongod-m103: Preparing network interfaces based on configuration…
mongod-m103: Adapter 1: nat
mongod-m103: Adapter 2: hostonly
==> mongod-m103: Forwarding ports…
mongod-m103: 22 (guest) => 2222 (host) (adapter 1)
==> mongod-m103: Running ‘pre-boot’ VM customizations…
==> mongod-m103: Booting VM…
There was an error while executing VBoxManage, a CLI used by Vagrant
for controlling VirtualBox. The command and stderr is shown below.

Command: [“startvm”, “fe599021-00a3-4dac-a28c-8c0db664a09e”, “–type”, “headless”]

Stderr: VBoxManage.exe: error: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes (VERR_VMX_MSR_ALL_VMX_DISABLED)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_FAIL (0x80004005), component ConsoleWrap, interface IConsole

1 Like

Hi All,

Please check this thread. If you still have issue, let me know.

Kanika

1 Like

I was able to change the BIOS setting & HYPER-V. This has fixed my current issue & was able to boot the VM

1 Like

Changing my BIOS setting and HYPER-V is NOT an option. We do not have the appropriate Administrative privileges. What is another workaround that would allow us access to the virtual machines?

I do not have the option to change my BIOS either.

At this point I have spent 2.5 hours trying to get this class set up, between not noticing the note about Windows 7, having to uninstall the latest version and get the older one, then having issues, then seeing this thread and uninstalling the old version and reinstalling the latest, then updating my PowerShell, then spending 1/2 hour trying to update my BIOS, and rebooting every time I change anything.

I’m getting pretty frustrated and at this point I’m probably going to have to drop the class, since the odds of me getting the first chapter done by noon tomorrow are pretty much 0.

There are two of us having this issue now. If I don’t get this set up ASAP, I’m going to have to drop the class. First assignments are due in 2.5 hours, unless we can get some sort of exception based on these technical difficulties?