Vagrant up -> Error: OpenSSL SSL_connect: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL

I have installed Virtual Box version 6.0 and Vagrant version 2.2.5 on my machine.
I have navigated at usr/university/m103/m103-vagrant-env/ and I have two files here which I downloaded from course handouts. I have even seen the file content through cat command, but whenever I hit “vagrant up”, I see this error:-

The box ‘ubuntu/trusty64’ could not be found or
could not be accessed in the remote catalog. If this is a private
box on HashiCorp’s Vagrant Cloud, please verify you’re logged in via
vagrant login. Also, please double-check the name. The expanded
URL and error message is shown below:

URL: [“https://vagrantcloud.com/ubuntu/trusty64”]
Error: OpenSSL SSL_connect: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL in connection to vagrantcloud.com:443

Anyone, please help me with this error.

Thanks

Hi @Sunny_80156,

Please try re-installing the VirtualBox and Vagrant. You can refer to the Handouts corresponding to your OS in Lecture: Setting Up the Vagrant Environment for detailed instructions on setting up the vagrant environment.

You can also check the following link, if the issue persists:

Please let me know, if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Sonali

Hi Sonali,
Thanks for trying to help me, but I am very disappointed that this is the first lecture of setting up the environment and I am stuck here.
I tried a few things like:-

• uninstall vagrant and virtualbox and then reinstall following the exact guidelines from the PDF file from the official handouts here. But it did not work.
  • Followed this stackoverflow link as this has almost exactly the same problem but this did not help
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/35519389/vagrant-cannot-find-box
    I ran the command $ sudo rm /opt/vagrant/embedded/bin/curl from this stackoverflow link, but it did not help.

But the error remains the same. Here I am pasting the error again if you or anyone can get any clue to help me:-
The box ‘ubuntu/trusty64’ could not be found or
could not be accessed in the remote catalog. If this is a private
box on HashiCorp’s Vagrant Cloud, please verify you’re logged in via
vagrant login. Also, please double-check the name. The expanded
URL and error message are shown below:

URL: https://vagrantcloud.com/ubuntu/trusty64
Error: OpenSSL SSL_connect: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL in connection to vagrantcloud.com:443

Thanks

Please check if this helps

Hi @Sunny_80156,

Please check if any anti-virus or firewall is blocking vagrant.
If you see the same error again, then try the following:

vagrant login

Use the following username and password, if prompted:

username: vagrant
password: vagrant

Please let me know, if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Sonali

Hi Sonali,
Thanks again for quickly getting back to me.
I tried vagrant login with access details you provided and I was able to login and after login the promt says :-
Token description (Defaults to “Vagrant login from Sunnys-MacBook-Pro.local”):

After this what should I do?
If I try to “vagrant up --provision” after login then I get “Invalid username or password. Please try again.”

Thanks
Sunny

Hi @Sunny_80156,

Vagrant login is required to access tools in Vagrant cloud and the token is used to authenticate your account.
When you are prompted to enter the token description, you need to put in the token details which you might not have created yet.

You may simply use “vagrant up” to access vagrant and continue with your labs.
Although, in case you want to go through and learn the “vagrant login” process, please follow the below mentioned link and create a new access token for yourself.
https://www.vagrantup.com/docs/vagrant-cloud/users/authentication.html

Thanks,
Muskan
Curriculum Support Engineer

Hi Muskan,
Thank you and thanks for all helping me. I am finally able to execute vagrant up and have tried all the commands mentioned to make sure its working well.
What I did was that I run the command “vagrant up” right after the message :-
Token description (Defaults to “Vagrant login from Sunnys-MacBook-Pro.local”):
and it bring me back to the main prompt saying invalid username and password and then I tried the vagrant up again in the prompt and it started to continue to download some data and it took almost 3 to 4 hours to download, but finally, the process got completed with a big chunk of information along with some warnings but ignoring everything I tried vagrant up and it worked. Ohh thank god and thanks to everyone for helping me out here, I am finally able to pass the very first chapter and catch up to space.

Thanks
Sunny

2 Likes