Usage of updateOne()

Hello Everyone. I want to know the exact usage of updateOne() when the work done by it is already done by updateMany(). I mean when will be the requirement of first matched document comes??

The query could also be for the only document and the updateOne operator ensures that. There are a vast amount of use cases for both updateOne and updateMany. Both of which leads to more explicit code which helps everyone.

For me I use updateOne more than updateMany however both have a place in the applications I build.

Hi @Avaneesh_57410,

I am sure you are aware of what the updateOne() and updateMany() function does. So, let’s address your real question.

There could be many use cases of updateOne() function when you are using MongoDB for Queues/Workflow based applications.

For instance, in an organisation the unassigned tasks are stored in the form of documents inside a collection.

Let’s say this is what the schema of the document looks like :

{
   "Task_name" : "monthly maintenance of 004x component",
   "state":  "Unassigned",
   "Owner" : null
}

Now, let’s say at the moment there are 100 unassigned tasks and there are 15 employees who are querying the same collection and looking for those tasks which has the "state" : "Unassinged" so that they can assign one of the many tasks to themselves.

In this case, we can use the updateOne() function, when you just want to change the state of one task and assign it to yourself.

After using the updateOne() function and assigning a task to yourself this is what the document may look like.

{
   "Task_name" : "monthly maintenance of 004x component",
   "state":  "Assigned",
   "Owner" : "Shubham Ranjan"
}

In this case, we used the updateOne() function because we just want to grab one document and change it’s state.

I hope it helps :slight_smile:

If you have any other query, please feel free to get back to us.

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan
Curriculum Support Engineer

1 Like

Thanks Shubham_Ranjan!.Your explanation of doubt is excellent.