Unzip mflix-python.zip inside the Downloads directory?

From Chapter0: Introduction and Setup: Lecture: README: Setting Up mflix:

Under “Download the mflix-python.zip file”
The instructions say to “unzip the file and cd into the project’s root directory, mflix-python .”

cd ~/Downloads
unzip mflix-python.zip
cd mflix-python

Problem:
This does not create a directory named mflix-python.
I assumed I should create a directory named mflix-python, move the mflix-python.zip file into that directory, then unzip it in that directory. But I had problems running the app, so I decided to start over and follow the instructions exactly. But that didn’t work, because unzipping the mflix-python.zip file while in the downloads directory does not create a mflix-python directory to cd into.

Help please,
Thank you.

I have solved the problem.

The solution is to create the mflix-python directory first, move the mflix-python.zip file into that directory, then unzip the file from within the directory.

I believe the instructions should be corrected.

Thanks,
Brendan

Hi @Brendan_O_Connor

That’s unusual, the unzip/unarchive programs typically create the mflix-python directory as part of the uncompression and copying of that data to that specific directory. I’m glad you found a work around.

What OS are you using and what version of unzip or what plus which version of uncompression software are you using?

Thanks and kindest regards,
Eoin

I’m not super familiar with this stuff, but here is hopefully at least a good partial answer to your questions.
If there is other info you would like, please ask. E.g., I don’t know if this answers your uncompression software question.

Brendan

MacOS 10.15.7 (Catalina) (my Mac is from 2013, and it can’t upgrade to MacOS 11.x)

Hi @Brendan_O_Connor

I think your original comment is correct on investigation. I think what it does show is that a lot of users are not actually using the command line but rather GUI alternatives in OS X such as “The Unarchiver”. The default behaviour for this and most of the other GUI uncompression applications will create the directory whilst the unzip command-line program does not.

Thanks for flagging this!
Eoin