Unable to install Mongo shell on Windows

mongo%20shell
When installing mongo shell, the installer goes into this mode and never completes.
I I downloaded the software from here : https://www.mongodb.com/download-center/enterprise

Hi @Pavankumar_68360,

What version of windows are you using ?

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan
Curriculum Support Engineer

Hi Shubham,

I am using windows 7

Thanks

Pavan

Please check this link

Installation in Windows 7 64 bit getting hang

Thanks MongoDBSupport team,the zipped version looks to work.

Thanks,

Pavan

Hi @Ramachandra_37567, Thanks for your contribution.

Hi @Pavankumar_68360,

I’m glad your issue got resolved. If you have any other query, please feel free to get back to us.

Happy Learning :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan

Hi @Shubham_13709,

1. Unable to install mongo shell on windows 10.
    ( it does get installed but at cmd once i query to check whether it’s installed or not using mongo --nodb, it says no file found)

Also
2. Both Mongo Compass and Mongo Shell can’t be installed in Ubuntu 18.04 Linux version. I did look your other post which linked to an older compass version. Couldn’t resolve.

Looking forward to your support.

Regards,
Devanshu

Hi @dev_75131,

Did you set the path under environment variables?

That’s interesting. Please share the screenshots containing the error message that you are getting.

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan

Stating the obvious but the instructional video concerning how to install the mongo Shell on Windows is lacking a few things. Time to record a new video? Or add a note?

Why? Because if you’re trying to install on “Windows 7” then the installer will hang. And users will waste a lot of time. I know from personal experience. For whatever reason, there’s a conflict with the mongo Shell installer and Windows 7.

So, don’t follow the instructional video. Don’t click on the “Complete” button. Click on the “Custom” button instead and make sure you DON’T install MongoDB Compass through the installer.

After a lot of hard work, effort, and waste of my time, I finally ended up checking the actual documentation when nothing else would work. And guess what the documentation says? Surprise, surprise…

Install MongoDB Enterprise Edition on Windows

“The install script requires PowerShell version 3.0 or greater. If you have Windows 7, unclick the Install MongoDB Compass. You can manually download Compass from the Download Center.”

You’d think the instructional video would have mentioned that?

Hi @Alain_80365,

On the About page of M001: MongoDB Basics course it is clearly mentioned under the System Requirements section that Windows 8+ (64-bit) operating system should be used.

We at MongoDB University strive to provide quality learning experience for our learners. So, we will see what we can do to avoid this kind of situations.

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan