Timing And Cleanup

Two Questions regarding course re-takes:

1. Am I able to complete/pass the course even though I did not complete anything in Capters 0 and 1? I have already passed these sections on my first round, but have not completed them in time for subsequent attempt.

2. Do you have a reference to clean up all of the files from previous attempts? I would like to start with fresh files as I went pretty far in my early attempts, but now have a number of configuration files, etc… that are no longer the default. (Thereby causing this attempt to be much more difficult.)

I would like to remove all instances of the virtual machine, course, etc… and start from Step 1 again.

@Sean_64404 what course is this for? Please edit your thread and link it to the course.

The answer to 1 is no. As for number 2, I need to know which course.

Thank you for your help!

The course is m103.

Considering that the course videos are not live, has the Mongo University thought about allowing students to work at their own pace?

You’re not getting much responses because your post isn’t linked to any course. Suggest you do what I mentioned above.

As for number 2, if these are just config files on your local machine or in the VM, find them and delete them.
If you’re talking about killing mongod processes then here’s the recommended way:

1. Login to the server
    mongo --host <hostname>:<port> <other options>
  2. Shutdown the server:
    use admin
    db.shutdownServer()
  3. Delete all the database files
    rm -r /path/to/db/folder
    rm -r /path/to/log/folder

The other (non-recommended) method of cleaning up is to:

1. Find the running processes (i.e. mongod or mongos)
    ps -ef | grep "[m]ongo"
  2. Kill it using the correct
    kill -9 <process id>
  3. Delete all the database files
    rm -r /path/to/db/folder
    rm -r /path/to/log/folder

Destroy the VM and bring it back up:
vagrant destroy
vagrant up

The whole idea behind these courses is that you can work at your own pace. You can login whenever you want at any time or day and carry on working. You just need to make sure all labs are completed before the deadline. Unless you meant something else? Can you elaborate?

Hi @Sean_64404,

The passing grade for each course is 65%. We have labs, quizzes and final exam. The quizzes are ungraded.

The scores you get on your labs make up 50% of your final grade. Then at the very end of the course is a final exam. This makes up the other 50% of your grade.

Unfortunately at the moment, we do not transfer the progress of the user from one offering to another offering.

If you want to start fresh then run these commands.

vagrant destroy

This command stops the running machine Vagrant is managing and destroys all resources that were created during the machine creation process. After running this command, your computer should be left at a clean state, as if you never created the guest machine in the first place.

vagrant up

This command will configure and create the guest machine on your system.

You can register for the course at any time and get started with it. If you finish the labs of the current chapter then the content of the next chapter gets unlocked for you right away and you do not have to wait for the start date.

Hope it helps!

If you have any other query then please feel free to get back to us.

Happy Learning :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan
Curriculum Support Engineer