The timing for supporting partial synchronization

I’m using the Realm Cloud in a production environment. I’m using partial sync.

MongoDBRealm seems to focus on full sync first.

Query-based Sync : MongoDB Realm will require this feature to be re-architected to maximize scalability and performance. MongoDB Realm will initially focus on full sync and within the GA phase we expect to re-architect query-based sync to be fully optimized for MongoDB Realm.

I’m wondering if I’m waiting for MongoDB Realm’s partial sync support or migrating existing user data from partial sync to full sync.

The MongoDB Realm public beta will be released soon, and new sign-ups to the Realm Cloud will be suspended. This also forces my service to stop signing up.

I think that GA will be released after that. Does MongoDB Realm support partial synchronization when GA is released?

Or will the partial sync support be some time after the GA release?

Please give a rough estimate of the schedule.

@Enoooo Something akin to query-based sync is certainly in our plans but it is difficult to give an exact date; we are certainly working on it. Unfortunately I cannot tell you if it will land for GA for MongoDB Realm but we will endeavor to make that happen. What I can say is that I do recommend moving to full sync if at all possible - of course, it is use case and load dependent but many architectures can be solved by full sync if partitioning and schema design is thought about initially.

The MongoDB Realm public beta will be released soon, and new sign-ups to the Realm Cloud will be suspended. This also forces my service to stop signing up.

While we will likely stop net new sign-ups, the users of your app will still be able to use Realm Cloud and new signups for your app can continue even after the launch because your app is in production

2 Likes

@Ian_Ward
Thank you for your reply.

I understand. Since it is uncertain when partial sync will be supported, we will move data from the partial sync realm to the full sync realm.

While we will likely stop net new sign-ups, the users of your app will still be able to use Realm Cloud and new signups for your app can continue even after the launch because your app is in production

I was relieved to hear this. I was misunderstanding.
For the time being, we will use the Realm Cloud in a production environment.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.