Syntax for $lookup let with List<Variable>

List<Variable> let = new ArrayList<>();
    Variable variable = new Variable("id", "$_id");
    let.add(variable);
    Bson lookup = Aggregates.lookup("comments", let, lookUpPipeline, "comments");

I m just guessing how to do the following syntax, but I can’t find a proper example of this… any hints?

Figured out you need to declare Type of the Variable<> … not there yet though…seems I cant seem to find any comments yet… might be some faulty match value…

Aggregates.match(eq("$movie_id", “$$id”));

results in the following error:
com.mongodb.MongoCommandException: Command failed with error 2 (BadValue): ‘unknown top level operator: $movie_id’ on server mflix-shard-00-00-nsbvm.mongodb.net:27017. The full response is { “operationTime” : { “$timestamp” : { “t” : 1551132725, “i” : 1 } }, “ok” : 0.0, “errmsg” : “unknown top level operator: $movie_id”, “code” : 2, “codeName” : “BadValue”, “$clusterTime” : { “clusterTime” : { “$timestamp” : { “t” : 1551132725, “i” : 1 } }, “signature” : { “hash” : { “$binary” : “Fj21OaPqB9QT4UlOL0GYDRiOruI=”, “$type” : “00” }, “keyId” : { “$numberLong” : “6658321991776337921” } } } }

…I really like the Builders, but for this one…-_-

Any helps about this subject ?

Bson lookup = Aggregates.lookup(“comments”, let, aPipeline, “comments”);

I need to write in Java the let variable.

Compass gives me the value of these variables:

new Document(“id”, “_id”)

ArrayList<Variable<Object>> let = new ArrayList<Variable<Object>>();

Create a new ArrayList<Variable> and add the $_id variable from the movie source collection to it.

List<Variable<String>> let = new ArrayList<>();
    let.add(new Variable("movieId", "$_id"));

It’s a pity that Compass could extract the java code from the aggregation pipeline. (at least in my case)

2 Likes

perfect. it works. Thanks for your help.

any idea, how to sort using Aggregates.lookup() method ?

Hi TMJ18,
I personnally used a $sort operator in the pipeline attribute of lookup. For example, I used this block to sort comments by descending date.

Blockquote
lookup : { from: 'comments', let: {'mid' : '_id’},
pipeline:
[
{’$match’ : {’$expr’: {’$eq’: [’$movie_id’, ‘$$mid’]}}},
{ ‘$sort’ : {‘date’: -1}}
],
as: ‘movie_comments’
}

Cheers,
Loïc.

combination Filters.expr(Filters.eq(…)) does not work…
Using as much builders as possible I found nothing better for now then the following:

Bson expr = Filters.expr(new Document("$eq", Arrays.asList("$movie_id", "$$id")));
    Bson matchLetId = Aggregates.match(expr);

Hi @SvenDhaens,

Have you tried using Compass Aggregation builder Export to Language ?

N.

I did but it doesnt work if you tick the option with builders.

I was persistent in using builders, but I lost a lot of time for this.

It would be nice to see some kind of Builder for this case. Although I got it working now.