Slack Was Better

Hi, am having issues with my MongoDB. I wrote a huge post, submitted it, and now have been waiting a few hours for it to be approved. I can’t even go to my post to add a comment for things I am trying in the meantime.

Slack was great because you can just ask other people who are really there and talk to people in real-time.

I guess this site is worth having around, but it in no ways replaces Slack. I don’t see why they had to close the mongo Slack community.

Please just fork over some $$ to Slack and bring back the MongoDB Slack community. :pray:

1 Like

Hi Jim,

Only the first few posts any member makes are sent through moderation for approval. It’s to help protect our community against spammers.

I’m sorry that you’re having an issue with your MongoDB instance, but I’ve gone ahead and approved your post. Hope you are able to get the help you need from our neighbors here.

Cheers,

Jamie

3 Likes

I prefer forums over slack for serious support and discussion any day. Sure, Slack gives sense that things progress fast, but that is only true when there are right people online, and your question is trivial enough / interesting enough to get attention right away. If neither of those is true, open question gets lost really fast.

I expect new user post approval to become smoother over time, when community grows and stabilizes. Then it most likely has community members who have enough privileges to do such first post approval, reducing time greatly.

In world where most people think everything is in rush and has to happen instantly, forums are nice place to slow down, give a thought on your post and really concentrate what you are saying & doing. :slight_smile: /me likes :smiley:

4 Likes

Forums in general are ok, but this forum is absolutely terrible!

I just created a post, and now I can’t even see it anywhere because it takes 3 days to become “approved”. SMH!

Hi @Jim_Lynch,

It looks like your most recent post was waiting in moderation for about 8 hours over a long weekend (Memorial Day in the US). That’s about the longest a post will currently wait in moderation, but most requests are actioned significantly faster (particularly during weekday working hours). We currently have moderator reminders for requests waiting longer than 12 hours and the last time a reminder was needed was March 8th.

New user restrictions (like moderation) are an aspect of the Discourse forum software that is designed to encourage users to learn more about the community and how to engage in quality discussion (for example, avoiding duplicate posts). Initial moderation also limits drive-by spam, which is unfortunately common.

Additional permissions are granted to more experienced users based on positive community involvement. You can learn more about Trust Levels in the Getting Started with the MongoDB Community welcome post.

There are many reasons why Slack did not suit our community growth. This was discussed on several occasions in Slack, but since the archives are not public or searchable I’ll repost the gist here.

We have invested significant planning effort into understanding and addressing feedback from the community so we can provide a long term solution including features that aren’t available in Slack:

• Public archives & discovery via search engines
  • Ability to tag/curate discussions
  • Ability to mark threads as “Solved” and find answered/unanswered questions
  • Ability to give community members access to help grow and moderate the community
  • Community recognition through badges and titles
  • Potential for customised UI/UX to improve user experience

Discourse is an open source platform which allows us to adapt to the needs of the community.

We certainly appreciate any constructive feedback on how we can improve your experience.

Regards,
Stennie

4 Likes

The “waiting for your post to be approved” is horribly bad UX.

Why not follow the lead of better forums like Reddit and Stack Overflow- let the post go through and allow moderators to delete them.

Seems to me like you guys just want to drive traffic to this lame website for some reason instead of people being able to actually talk with each other.