Sharding$ prompt

in class video - Setting up Sharding Cluster
the install of the csrs config files is: (i.e. ~0:59 point)
vagrant@m103:~/sharding$ mongod -f csrs_1.conf

where is the …sharding$… coming from? have gone backwards to review if I missed a step… don’t want to start off on the wrong footing …

In this particular shell setup, the part after the : indicate your current directory. If it starts with ~ it means it is relative to your home directory. Somewhere a cd sharding was issued. The directory must exist.

ah okay - thanks for that…
I don’t seem to see that step…

okay so after revisiting the making of our first replica set - I realize I have a gap in my understanding. I have launched config files using a path from shared folder.

c/user/username/m103/m103-vagrant-env/shared/mongod-repl-1.conf

I do not seem to understand how, in the class video, the config file is put into a dir of vagrant@m103 - - manually or otherwise…and this maybe is due to a lack of familiarity on virtualization - not really sure…I don’t know where is this found…

The directory is shared between the host (Windows) and the guest (vagrant).

James_58604

There is nothing like sharding$.Probably you meant shared$

Your c/user/username/m103/m103-vagrant-env/shared/ on windows maps to /home/vagrant/shared

So whatever files you create in Windows dir can be accessed from Vagrant Unix box and vice versa
It is shared folder as Steevej mentioned above

Hi @James_58604,

As others have mentioned, the directory called shared is literally a shared directory between the host operating system (in your case Windows) and the the guest operating system which you are running inside the virtual machine.

Both the Operating systems can read and write files to this directory and hence you can put the configuration files in this directory either way i.e. from window (using GUI) or from vagrant environment (using command line).

Hope it helps!

If you have any other query then please feel free to get back to us.

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan
Curriculum Support Engineer