Server selection timed out while connecting to sandbox cluster on compass

Hi,
I am facing the following error while connecting to the sandbox cluster

hostname: sandbox-shard-00-00-kteaq.mongodb.net

the user has been given read write to any db permission as per course (also tried giving atlas admin permission to troubleshoot the issue)

credentials:

• username: m001-student
  • password: m001-mongodb-basics

Hi @Prenav,

I am able to connect to your sandbox cluster. I believe it must be a network/firewall related issue at your end.

Can you please make sure you are able to ping the cluster by running the following command in your terminal ?

ping sandbox-shard-00-01-kteaq.mongodb.net 

And also please verify that port 27017 is not blocked by clicking http://portquiz.net:27017

On some occasions, even though the above mentioned tests passes, network is still a problem. So please make sure you are not connected to any VPN and firewall/antivirus is disabled. You can also try to connect from some other network such as your home network .

Hope it helps!

If the issue still persists please feel free to get back to us. Happy Learning :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan
Curriculum Support Engineer

Hi @Shubham_Ranjan,
I am able to ping the cluster and the port is open, I had tested the same before.

Please note that I did face an issue with mongo shell connection on the course cluster, where I had to move to a US VM to access the cluster; the same cluster was accessible via compass.

I am currently not connected to any VPN, but will try using the VM to connect to compass to see if that resolves.