Server selection timed out after 30000 ms

I receive this error when i try to connect through Compass so i’m checking what are suggested

1. I’m able to reach by browser at URL:
    http://cluster0-shard-00-00-jxeqq.mongodb.net:27017
    and i’m getting as feedback
    “It looks like you are trying to access MongoDB over HTTP on the native driver port.”

2. But when i try to ping
    ping cluster0-shard-00-00-jxeqq.mongodb.net
    it fails

Could you tell me what this means? Since i can reach above URL why ping is not working and connection to DB either?

Hi @Panagiotis_66857,

I’m not a network expert but I think since both these requests uses different protocols, so it can happen. I’m not sure why/where your ping requests are getting blocked.

Are you connected to a corporate network ?

If yes, then I would recommend you to work with your network administrator for the resolution of the issue. You can also try to connect from some other network and see if it resolves your issue.

Please let me know if nothing works and you are still blocked.

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan
Curriculum Services Engineer

Hi Shubham,
unfortunately network administrator of my company is highly busy this period, also i had tried to connect from home to Atlas but i couldn’t. On the contrary i have installed locally MongoDB server and i can work locally. Is it possible to send me training DB content to insert locally and work that way?
Thank you
Panagiotis Lamprou

Hi @Panagiotis_66857,

Please follow the instructions mentioned in this post for importing the datasets.

Hope it helps!

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan
Curriculum Services Engineer