Requirement to use Vagrant

It is too bad that you require vagrant (docker would be a better choice in my opinion). I do not want to install vagrant on my linux box. I want to run mongod directly on my machine.

I can do the assignments but I cannot run your validation scripts.

How hard would it be for you to have an option on your validation scripts to attach to ip 127.0.0.1 instead of requiring the vagrant ip address of 192.168.103.100 (or whatever it is)?

Rob Tamlyn

1 Like

Hi robkat,

I apologize that you are having tough time with vagrant. We ask users to use vagrant so that they don’t need to install anything on their machine itself and don’t bother about setting up or mapping IPs or hosts.

And also, every student can have the same environment for the course, it would be very difficult to solve issues of every student considering all students won’t be using the same OS and not every student even know how to edit their hosts file.

But we are not using vagrant for M220P, let’s see how the response of students is!

I would say try to setup vagrant, I will try my best to get your setup running!

Kanika

Thanks, I will give M220P a try.

M220P is a developer course in Python.

There are more courses which don’t use vagrant:

• M001 - MongoDB Basics course
  • M121 - MongoDB Aggregation Framework

Let me know if you need more help! And again, vagrant is not so tough! Give it a try! :slight_smile:

Kanika

Funnily enough, I did not want to install Anaconda on my laptop, so I used the M103 Vagrant setup to run M220P :smiley:

I do not want to install vagrant on my linux box. I want to run mongod directly on my machine.

In the case of @robkat it’s more a matter of preference. In the same way that I don’t want to install any software (aside from virtualization tools) on my production Mac, neither do they want to install Vagrant and other things on their Linux box.

1 Like