Relax Posting needs approval rule

Just migrated to this forum from the google group and unfortunately I have to say that the limitation of not being able to ask questions without approval is quite annoying as it delays ongoing conversations and finding solutions to issues. I can understand that it might be necessary to keep spammers out of the forum. However, if a spammer is able to fake one post that is approved, the spammer is likely able to repeat that. I would like to put the idea out there, to relax the rule so that one just needs 1 approved post, to be able to post without approval.

@st-h Thanks for the feedback!

New user restrictions are part of minimising drive-by spam and encouraging quality posts as users become more familiar with the community. Google Groups has similar moderation for initial posts which has worked well to mitigate drive-by spam (which is unfortunately problematic).

It doesn’t take long to earn the next trust level. See: Trust Levels in the community welcome post for more information.

We have a global team of moderators so there shouldn’t be too much delay between initial post & approval, but we will definitely consider adjusting policies as the community grows.

If someone does earn a trust level and starts spamming, there is also an option to flag suspect posts for review by the moderation team.

Regards,
Stennie

4 Likes

thanks for your reply. It really did not take too long until the trust level was raised. It was just such a bummer, switching over from google group, while I was dealing with a mongo related issue and I was not able to even post the issue and reply to any suggestions. However, I understand that it is nearly impossible to find a solution which will work for everyone here.
I had a look at trust levels before posting though, and I did not find anything related to “posts need to be approved”, but maybe I just overlooked.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.