Question about data types

Hello Everybody,

My database will contain documents with document values in which the value contains both text and numbers. For example: M42 or 3rd power.

So my question is: Can I define the data type as string, or are strings not allowed to contain numbers?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Carel.

Hi Carel,

Welcome to the community!

BSON strings are UTF-8 Strings (see BSON (Binary JSON): Specification). These strings can contain numbers.

An easy way to test this out is to create a free cluster on Atlas and insert a document. For each field in the document, you can select what type the field should be.

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for the quick reply. I’m not a developer, but I’m in the process of preparing my data

and need to work out the fields and field types for the different documents in my database.

So it’s a relief to hear that strings can also contain numbers. I’m just starting out in the MongoDB world

and I like what I see, because I could not make it work in a relational database structure.

The possibilities of MongoDB for my situation give me the reassurance that I can continue and accommodate the different

document structures I need and still be able to retrieve what I want and how I want it.

Regards, thanks and greeting from Holland,

Carel.