Querying for documents with an ordered sequence of elements in an array

I was playing around with Mongo queries and thought of a case that I cannot find a solution for. Is there an easy way to search for documents that have a specific element sequence in an array? For example, if I have two documents with:
{scores:[1, 2, 3, 4]}
{scores:[4, 3, 2, 1]}

How would I query for a document that has in its ‘scores’ field [2, 3]? From the two documents above, the query should return only the first one.

Hi Giedrius_34223,

With simple MongoDB Array operators it is not possible. You can only do exact match or $all or $in which will return both the records. However, I have this solution but it is not as simple as you might have expected:

seq = [2, 3]

db.sequence.find({ $expr: {
  $in: [
    seq,
    { $map: {
        input: { $range: [0, { $add: [ { $size: "$scores" }, -1 ] }] },
        in: [ {$arrayElemAt: ["$scores", "$$this"]}, {$arrayElemAt: ["$scores", { $add: ["$$this", 1 ]}]}]
    } }
 ]
}})

Output:

{ "_id" : ObjectId("5c122a2b00746d986abce2f9"), "results" : [ 1, 2, 3, 4 ] }

The above query will not use an index and will perform a collection scan. So we can aggregation pipeline to filter the records which match with the sequence. That will first filter on the list of values that you provide, then project a field checking if the sequence is correct, then filter on that field.

seq = [2,3]  
db.sequence.aggregate([
{
    $match: {
        scores: { $all: seq }
    }
},
{
    $addFields: {
        isSequenceCorrect: {
            $in: [
                seq,
                {
                    $map: {
                        input: { $range: [0, { $add: [{ $size: "$scores" }, -1] }] },
                        in: [{ $arrayElemAt: ["$scores", "$$this"] }, { $arrayElemAt: ["$scores", { $add: ["$$this", 1] }] }]
                    }
                }
            ]
        }
    }
},
{ $match: { isSequenceCorrect: true } }
]);

The output will be:

{ "_id" : ObjectId("5c122a2b00746d986abce2f9"), "results" : [ 1, 2, 3, 4 ], "isSequenceCorrect" : true }

Let me know if it helps!

Kanika

1 Like