Problems when opening compass: Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I installed compass in Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish, but when I try to open it, it just does not run. I tried to open it from the console and generated the following error: Segmentation fault (core dumped). How can i fix this?

Compass doesn’t work on ubuntu Gnome shell. It works fine, on the other hand on Lubuntu :). Its compass issue, unfortunately.

Thank you for the answer,

This is because the program is still running, just kill process in memory (use htop in terminal, filter process witch F4, and kill process, then Compass start normaly). The same problem on Linux Mint 19.

I’ve installed the redhat version on Fedora29, and I get a segmentation fault when trying to run it from the command line. I’ve used htop, and there are no processes starting with mon.

1 Like

I do not see any process running either :no_mouth:

1 Like

I wonder if they’ll ever sort out linux packages so you can just install something and it works. We have snap packages, flatpacks, appImage - and yet still I waste 40 mins of my life trying to get it to work. Gave up, booted to my windows installation instead and had it running with one double-click. There does seem to be an issue raised here with RPM based distros:

https://jira.mongodb.org/browse/COMPASS-3361

https://jira.mongodb.org/browse/COMPASS-2773

No answer ofc, when you need one and are in a hurry :slight_smile: Let me know if anyone gets it working on Fedora.

2 Likes

Hi guys,

yes, we received a couple of reports about the issues with Fedora, we’ll look into those ASAP.

The problem with Ubuntu 18.10 is also known. 18.10 includes an update to libc that breaks compatibility with the version of Electron we use up to Compass 1.17. Compass 1.18 will work in Ubuntu 18.10. Expect it to be out (at least in beta) in the next few weeks.

Apologies for the trouble this is causing.

Max

4 Likes

Thanks for the deets @mmarcon. I’ve had nothing but trouble with any of the Linux Compass versions. I always had to run it on my Mac.