Problem when installing rsync

Hi, there. I follow the instruction on " Setting Up the Vagrant Environment" section. However, I cannot use rsync command in my window cmd prompt. I am sure I follow all the process listed in the instruction. Does anyone have a similar situation?

here is the error message I got:
‘rsync’ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

@Kanika, was rsync added to the class instructions??

It is not part of the normal Windows command set, that much is certain :slight_smile:

I am having the same issue. I’ve carefully followed the steps outlined in the Installing Vagrant on Windows in the instructions. ssh cmd returns results. rsync gives the above error. I have uninstalled and reinstalled with same results. I also confirmed the entire location is entered in the environment path.

Any suggestions?

And 2 minutes later I figured it out. On Windows 10, don’t add the Environment Path to the same line. Add it as a separate line. Works fine

4 Likes

In windows 7, it was add to a single line, in windows 10 it changed (Maybe in windows 8, don’t know, skipped 8)

1 Like

Hi @ChunYen_96934,

There must be a problem setting your Environment variable. Please re-check the variable listing and paste the screenshot here if you can.

There are lecture notes present in the Lecture: " Setting Up the Vagrant Environment" having instructions for downloading and installing rsync.

You need to install rsync and set in your environment variables.

Install rsync and ssh. The last step of the installation of MinGW is to specify the packages you want to install. From here you can mark rsync and ssh for installation like so:

After marking the packages for installation you can go ahead and apply the changes:

Assuming you’ve kept the default installation path rsync and ssh should be installed to the C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin directory. In order for these tools to be accessible via the command-line (and Vagrant) you’ll need to add this directory to your PATH environment variable.First go to Advanced system settings under System Properties and click “Environment Variables…”:

From there select the “Path” variable and click “Edit…”.

Directories in the PATH environment variable are deliminated by semicolons. You can now append the C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin directory to the end of the “Variable value.”

You can confirm that rsync and ssh are both successfully installed and accessible via your PATH by launching the command prompt (cmd) and running rsync and ssh respectively. Both commands should output usage information. If you receive an error about not being recognized as an internal or external command then you’ll need revisit the steps above.

Kanika

1 Like

Ive followed these exact steps with no luck. If I go to C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin in the command prompt I have no problem. For some reason I cant make the path work.

Any other ideas?

Sean

If path is updated correctly it should work
What does path command show at cmd prompt.Does it show newly added path?

I faced the same problem, uninstall only the rsync utility from MinGW installer and re-install. (Its good if you can restart the system once setup and path has been updated).