Port needs to be same or can we use another?

I have a port already setup for another mongoDB on default port. for this class, they require same port to be used. can we choose a different one? or will it only work on this port?

You can configure and launch another instance of MongoDB, changing the port to another number for sure… You will have to be mindful of the different configurations… and start them both pointing the separate instances to different configuration files.

mongod --config <path-to>/mongod-FIRST-INSTANCE.conf
mongod --config <path-to>/mongod-SECOND-INSTANCE.conf

Hi @michaellynn, thanks for your contribution.

Hi @Alia_78139,

In order to continue in this course, you must be able to make outgoing requests from your computer to database servers we have set up in MongoDB Atlas. Those servers run on port 27017 in Amazon AWS.

I guess it’s fine if port 27017 on your local machine is being used by any other mongod instance. I would recommend you to continue with the course and if you ever run into any issue, please feel free to get back to us.

If you want to start a mongod instance locally on any other port such as 27000, then this is how you can do it.

mongod --port 27000

In order to connect to this mongod instance, you can use this connection string.

mongo --port 27000

Happy Learning :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan
Curriculum Support Engineer