Pointless waste of time

Well here I am first day having spent most of it, rather having wasted most of it trying to install Compass so I can proceed with this course. I am on Debian 9 and running Mongodb with no issues.

I faff with it all day and then read that I am not alone: tens, hundreds, thousands(?) days wasted trying to install something that’s broken. But no note on the website, here’s a suggestion:

Please note: This probably will not install on Debian so give up now before you fly in to a rage and hate MongoDB with passion.

Of course not everyone has the shiny $1000 plus mac that you dearest TA have?

Lovely shiny ‘University’. Get a grip.

Postgres is where it’s at right?

The MongoDB Docs states that you need Ubuntu version 14.04 or higher as a debian based OS. Is that your case? Otherwise, the passionate hate makes no sense.
I’m using Ubuntu 18.04.2 and everything worked as smooth as it could have.

Hi @pa_54753,

I apologise that you are facing this issue with Compass.

Let me just check with the Compass Team for any Compass related issue in Debian 9 system. I will let you know as soon as I get any update on it.

Thanks,
Sonali

That would be great very keen to start this course.

Thanks

Paul

Hi @pa_54753,

Great News!!

The issue has been fixed now. So, please refresh your browser and you will be able to download Compass. You can use the following link to download Compass:

Please let me know, if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Sonali

I have had no problems downloading Compass, the problem I, and many others have experienced is that it hangs at the initial screen: Loading forever. This is a known issue and has been for months I doubt that it has been resolved, please advise.

Thanks

Paul

Hi @pa_54753,

This issue came up in Compass on Linux based systems few days back, but it was resolved as soon as it came into light.

Are you able to successfully install and work on Compass?

Thanks,
Sonali

So I’m reading posts on Stack Overflow and your own forums that go back months, whatever, I’m traveling but will try to install later and get back to you, thanks for your help

Paul

Well there you go more wasted time. Can you please tell me what is the difference between the version you just had me download and the version i downloaded yesterday. Oh look there is no difference, that’s why I followed your instructions and It still hangs on the loading screen (forever) just like I thought it would.

No that’s not true actually.

Thanks please advise

Paul

1 Like

Hi @pa_54753,

Please share the version of Compass that you have downloaded and also share the screenshot of the loading screen in Compass.

I would recommend you to download 1.18.0 (Stable) version of Compass.

Please follow the instructions mentioned in below doc to download and install Compass:

Also, ensure that your system is 64 bit.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Sonali

FWIW I’ve had no problems with Compass on Ubuntu 18.04.

I have the Loading… screen as well. I’m on Debian 10.

Hi @Peter_36602,

Please refer to the above post for downloading and installing compass in Debian systems.

Please share the screenshot, if the issue persists.

Thanks,
Sonali

1 Like

Hello. I’ve followed the instructions correctly and tried with 1.18.0 (stable) as well as 1.19.0 (beta) and I’m stuck in the loading screen, as shown here.

Hi @Peter_36602,

As I can check you have completed all the labs for Chapter 1. :clap:

I hope you were able to resolve the Compass Loading Screen issue. Can you please share what worked for you?

Thanks,
Sonali

Hello.

I had to dig out an old MacBook to complete the assignments. It was quite inconvenient and I hope this issue can be resolved soon.

Pete

Hi @Peter_36602,

Great!!

I will definitely take a check on Compass issues in the Debian systems.
Thanks for notifying the issue.

Please let me know, if you have any doubts.

Good Luck and Happy Learning!!

Thanks,
Sonali

Hi Sonali_48808,

did you check Compass on Debian?
I am stuck with this forever “LOADING…” message, too.

Thank you for helping us Linux users!

Kind regards,
Florian

Hi @Florian_Reichl_10490,

This issue has been resolved.
You can download Compass Version 1.18.0 (Stable) from MongoDB Download Center.

Thanks,
Sonali

Hi @Sonali_Mamgain,

now when I start Compass 1.19.0 I get this endless “LOADING…” message.
At least I can click on the menu items now.
But if I click on “Connect to…” I just get a new window with an endless “LOADING…” message.

Thank you for your support!

Kind regards,
Florian