Next course for a .net developer?

This has been a challenging course, but I made it, final exam completed and fingers crossed until I get the results on Tuesday :crossed_fingers:

So, having completed M101 and M121, where should I go next? What I’d really like to learn is how to use MongoDB’s .net API. There was a course M101N on this subject, but it’s been retired and there doesn’t seem to be a replacement yet. It suggests M103 as an alternative, but that sounds like it’s more relevant to DBAs than to developers. Or does it include things that developers really need to know?

The available courses for developers appear to cover Python, Java and JavaScript / Node.js. I’m more comfortable using Node.js than the other two languages, so should I just dive into M202JS, bearing in mind that it’s tagged as “intermediate” level? And is M202JS likely to give me sufficient insights to then attempt to self-learn the .net API from the documentation?

A big thank you to the folks at MongoDB for making this free training available :+1:

1 Like

I did both M220JS and M220P at the same time as this course and I think they are WAY easier, and they’ll be even easier for you since you know all the aggregation stuff already. There’s not much difference in the material between the two, so I would just do the Javascript version and translate the information to .NET yourself.

I’m more comfortable with Python, but did the JS version as well to improve my Javascript. I got turned on to Mongo through MEAN stack, and in M220JS you basically add features to a MEAN (minus Angular) web application. The application is really well-done, so I’m glad I did both, but if you don’t plan on using Mongo in a specific language that’s offered, I wouldn’t bother doing more than just the Javascript version.

Thanks @Matt_75835, I’ve just learned a new acronym - MongoDB, Express, Angular, Node.js :slightly_smiling_face:

I imagine in a stack like MEAN, the Express layer would be the sensible place to put the data access code?

Does M202JS require much previous knowledge of Express? I’ve only come across it once before, in a course on React. We were given the server-side Express code on a plate, and because the subject of the course was client-side code using React, the server code wasn’t discussed at all during the couse. I know it’s all JavaScript / ECMAScript in the end, but will the fact that I don’t know the Express object model be a problem?

No, you don’t have to know much of anything (especially not Express-related), which is why I thought it was a really good guide for using Mongo in a realistic web application, with clear architecture and unit tests and everything. The MongoDB part falls more in the N than the E, since it’s on the server side.

OK, it’s a no-brainer, so I’ve just registered for M202JS, starting 9th April :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve just finished M220JS so I thought I’d post my thoughts here in case anyone else is reading this and wondering if this course is the right next step for them.

First observation is that it’s a lot easier than this aggregation framework course was, although that may well be because whenever an aggregation pipeline came up in the practical exercises, I wasn’t learning how to use them for the first time, having already learned them here.

Only one gotcha - M220JS uses a different form of $lookup to that used here, they call it the “expressive” form and it effectively lets us build sub-pipelines inside the $lookup stage to $filter or $project the collection that the lookup points to, to ensure that the overall pipeline never gets fatter than it needs to be to get the final end result. It makes sense now that I understand this point, but when I first saw it I found it really confusing.

And Matt is entirely correct in saying that we don’t need to know the other technologies used in the application. The whole application is written for us, and all of the practical exercises are editing 3 classes concerned solely with data access, where at key points there’s a TODO comment telling us which exercise it relates to and what the code we need to write needs to do. So no need to know Express or React or anything like that. The only hard pre-requisites are JavaScript (the ES6 version) and MongoDB.

Experience of unit testing with an assertion framework like Jest would be beneficial, as although we’re not writing unit tests, there are a bunch of unit tests provided which validate whether we’ve done the exercise correctly, and examining the unit test can help to clarify exactly what the desired outcome of the exercise is.

All in all, I recommend it :+1: