MongoDB not running on the provided host and port (Compass) & Cannot reach any nodes for Cluster (Command Prompt)

Hello All: Hope all of you are having fun time learning the MongoDB Basics!

I have a problem with connectivity. Up until last night I was at my home Internet and everything seemed to work just fine. I am in the middle of the Chapter-2 learning flow.

Earlier today I came into my work location (AT&T) and got connected to my corporate network. When I try to connect either through Compass or through command prompt (Shell) to the Class Cluster I am receiving connectivity errors.

Regular internet browsing is allowed and happening on my corporate network.

I am sure this is some sort of a configuration that one of you gurus might be able to enlighten me with. Can you please help?

PS: Just so you all know, I am posting this thread while on my Corporate Internet. In addition while at work I did try to disconnect from the corporate network and tried connecting through my Cell phone’s Hotspot and everything seems to again work just fine. So, I assume this might be some configuration issue that I should be able to get past easily, just not knowing what to do! :frowning:

TIA
Kumar

Hi Kumar_Ramamoorthy_07282,

Thanks for reaching out to us. The problem might be that your IT team has blocked outside connections. You can test using:

ping cluster0-shard-00-00-jxeqq.mongodb.net:27017

If you see a message showing Request Timeout, then it might be network blocking issue. You can ask your IT team to allow these addresses:

34.195.121.130, 34.205.152.216, 52.4.238.74

Kanika

1 Like

Thank you, Kanika! Instead of receiving a timeout, I receive the error “Ping request could not find host cluster0-shard-00-00-jxeqq.mongodb.net:27017. Please check the name and try again.”.

But when I simply ping google.com, it is able to ping with no issues.

My problem must most definitely be related to AT&T blocking connections. The IT Team is so huge and cumbersome and I highly doubt they would change anything. Anyways I will continue to study from home once I get back.

Thanks for checking,
Kumar

1 Like

My error is including 27017 in the hostname.

Port 27017 is provided by default in the Compass dashboard.

Use cluster0-shard-00-00-jxeqq.mongodb.net without the 27017 port.

Copying and pasting included the port :27017. This will generate an error when connecting.

My error in the hostname was from using cluster0-shard-00-00-jxeqq.mongodb.net:27017