MongoDB Compass connection issue

I downloaded MondoDB Compass 1.20.4 version. My Outgoing port tester was success. But I am not able to connect to DB using Compass, getting timeout error . How to resolve this ?

You’ll also got this error-message, if you enter a wrong password.
Maybe make sure the password works with mongo-shell… if yes, copy & paste it into.

BTW: My Hostname-Field still has the port at least …:27017 - even if the second field is named “Port” and it’s still in there. So be sure to don’t edit the Hostname-String you copied from your Atlas-Connection-Description.

I did copy & paste these from Chapter 1: Introduction

Lab 1.1: Install Compass and Connect and didn’t edit anything

Hostname: cluster0-shard-00-00-jxeqq.mongodb.net

Username: m001-student

Replica Set Name: Cluster0-shard-0

Read Preference: Primary Preferred

Can you connect via Mongo-Shell?
If not, you maybe did not set the White-List in Mongo-Atlas Server Settings?

Can you please share the details to connect via Mongo Shell?

Please check this link for the Class cluster connect string
Make sure to remove empty spaces and invalid numeric characters after port number

Connecting to Atlas Class Cluster from Mongo shell

Hi @Sandhya_59091,

I would like to mention couple of things here :

1. Please try to connect to the class atlas cluster using this connection string to avoid any chances of typos.

mongodb://m001-student:m001-mongodb-basics@cluster0-shard-00-00-jxeqq.mongodb.net:27017/?authSource=admin&replicaSet=Cluster0-shard-0&readPreference=primaryPreferred&appname=MongoDB%20Compass&ssl=true
  2. Please ensure that firewall/anti-virus is not blocking the requests by running the tests mentioned in this post.

Please refer this post for detailed instruction.

Hope it helps!

Please feel free to get back to us if you have any other query.

Happy Learning :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan
Curriculum Services Engineer

Hi Shubham,
Connection string didn’t work. Got same time out error:

Also tried to ping cluster0-shard-00-00-jxeqq.mongodb.net, there also got “Request timed out”. But port 27017 is not blocked while clicking http://portquiz.net:27017.
I am totally blocked with this issue, not able to continue my online MongoDB Basic course. Please help…

Hi @Sandhya_59091,

There might be a chance that firewall is blocking the request. But you can import the dataset on your local system, please look at the following post:

Kanika