Mflix App Crashes out of the Box

Running on Windows 10. The app crashes right our of the box, and it reports that it’s choking on a malformed URI. I tried to run app in step-through debugger, but it never reaches the index.js file in ./src. Hmmm. Stack trace below.

[nodemon] 1.17.5
[nodemon] to restart at any time, enter rs
[nodemon] watching: .
[nodemon] starting node ./index.js
MongoParseError: URI malformed, cannot be parsed
at parseConnectionString (C:…\node_modules\mongodb-core\lib\uri_parser.js:211:21)
at connect (C:…\node_modules\mongodb\lib\operations\mongo_client_ops.js:180:3)
at connectOp (C:…\node_modules\mongodb\lib\operations\mongo_client_ops.js:284:3)
at C:…\node_modules\mongodb\lib\utils.js:437:24
at new Promise ()
at executeOperation (C:…\node_modules\mongodb\lib\utils.js:432:10)
at MongoClient.connect (C:…\node_modules\mongodb\lib\mongo_client.js:168:10)
at Function.MongoClient.connect (C:…\node_modules\mongodb\lib\mongo_client.js:372:22)
at Object. (C:/…/src/index.js:23:13)
at Module._compile (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:689:30)
[nodemon] app crashed - waiting for file changes before starting…URI malformed, cannot be parsed at parse ConnectionString (C:…\node_modules\mongodb-core\lib\uri_parser.js:211:21)

2 Likes

Did you do the whole configuration beforehand? The README file list at a rather lengthy setup that needs to be done.

1 Like

@SloughHand

The error is pointing to a malformed URI in your .env file. Would you mind sharing what you are using there?

1 Like

I am too getting above error, any solution?
[nodemon] app crashed - waiting for file changes before starting…
npm --version 6.5.0-next.0
node --version v11.6.0

You’ll need to share the connection uri you are using with me in order for me to help!

1 Like

Thanks. I jumped the gun, expecting the app to standup after the intro video. My mistake.

2 Likes

Would it be helpful if we included a note that the application won’t start until the first bit of configuration is done?

2 Likes

mongodb+srv://M220student:@m220-eyrax.mongodb.net/test?retryWrites=true
my npm start not working could u help me

You have a typo error in the user name.

You do not have a password.

I think the requirements asked for a cluster named mflix and yours is call m220. I do not think this is an issue. However, most of the time when it is asked to create something called XXXX you shoud name it XXXX. Some of the test explicitly check for exact name.

connection string is below
MFLIX_DB_URI=mongodb+srv://m220student:m220password@mflix-2mqk6.mongodb.net/test?retryWrites=true&w=majority

can you tell why above app crash is occuring???

Did you rename your env file as per line #2?

1 Like