Managing and subscribing to notifications

Notifications

Some users want regular notifications on post activity, user activity, and their profile activity while other users do not want any notifications. You can set your notification preferences in your profile, choosing to receive email notifications, post notifications, both, and neither. Setting how you receive notifications is quick and easy.

Set email notifications

• In the Preferences menu, click Emails in the left-hand column.

• Use the drop-down boxes to choose whether you want to receive an email when someone messages you, quotes you, replies to your post, mentions you, and invites you to a topic.

• Options for emails include Always, Only When Away, and Never.

• Check or uncheck the box next to “Include an excerpt of replied to post in emails.”

• Under Activity Summary , check or uncheck the box next to “When I don’t visit here, send me an email summary of popular topics and replies.”

• Click the drop-down box and choose how often you want to receive an activity summary.

• Check or uncheck the box next to “Include content from new users in summary emails.”

• At the bottom of the page, click Save Changes .

Post notifications are an option you can choose when you want to stay up-to-date on posts that interest you. Use the post notification settings menu to set your preferences and decide how often you wish to receive notifications on posts.

Set post notifications:

• In the Preferences menu, click Notifications in the left-hand column.

• Click the drop-down box under “Consider topics new when.” You can choose to receive notifications on everything you haven’t viewed yet, or topics created in the last day, last two days, etc.

• Click the drop-down box under “Automatically track topics I enter.” Choose a timeframe like immediately, after 1 minute, after 2 minutes, etc.

• Click the drop-down box under “When I post in a topic, set that topic to.” Choose Watching, Tracking, or Normal.

• Click the drop-down box under “Notify when liked.” Choose how often you want notifications for your posts that other user’s liked.

• Check or uncheck the box next to “Allow other users to send me personal messages.”

• At the bottom of the page, click Save Changes .

Watching vs Tracking categories

When you engage with the community and find categories, topics, and posts that you enjoy, you have the option to follow them.

There are three options when you choose to follow a category:

Tracking: You automatically track all topics in the selected category. Next to the topic, there is a count of how many new posts there are.

Watching : You receive an email notification for every new post in a category. You will also see a count of how many new posts there are.

Watch First Post: You are only notified by email for every first post in each new topic in the category.

To follow a category:

• In the Preferences menu, click Categories in the left-hand column.

• Click the text box under Watched and search for the category you want to watch.

• Click the text box under Tracked and search for the category you want to track.

• Click the text box under Watching First Post and search for the category where you want to watch the first posts.

• Click the text box under Muted and search for the category you want to mute.

2 Likes