M103 - Cannot start vagrant

Whenever, I attempt to start vagrant, I get the following error "the virtualbox install is vagrant (v2.26) not support virtualbox (6.1). I and installed the latest versions of each as recommended in the handout. I am attempting to load an older version of virutalbox (5.2) . Any other suggestions to correct the vagrant/virtualbox version mismatch?

Hi @Ramona_12915,

Please have a look at this thread and follow the instructions mentioned in there.

If the issue still persists then please feel free to get back to us.

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan
Curriculum Support Engineer

It didn’t work. I tried to halt and destroy the locked VM as mention in the attached thread, but encountered the same error. Please help. See outoput below:

C:\Users\ramjack14\University\m103\m103-vagrant-env>vagrant destroy
mongod-m103: Are you sure you want to destroy the ‘mongod-m103’ VM? [y/N] y
==> mongod-m103: Destroying VM and associated drives…
There was an error while executing VBoxManage, a CLI used by Vagrant
for controlling VirtualBox. The command and stderr is shown below.

Command: [“unregistervm”, “d8339687-22b0-47cb-8b3a-d9f91a1b3703”, “–delete”]

Stderr: VBoxManage.exe: error: Cannot unregister the machine ‘mongod-m103’ while it is locked
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code VBOX_E_INVALID_OBJECT_STATE (0x80bb0007), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine, callee IUnknown
VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: “Unregister(CleanupMode_DetachAllReturnHardDisksOnly, ComSafeArrayAsOutParam(aMedia))” at line 154 of file VBoxManageMisc.cpp

Hi @Ramona_12915,

It looks like that vagrant was abruptly stopped and hence the processes did not stop properly.

Please run this command to poweroff the VM :

vboxmanage controlvm d8339687-22b0-47cb-8b3a-d9f91a1b3703 poweroff

Once done then, please restart your computer and follow the instructions mentioned in this thread.

Please make sure that you have downloaded the VirtualBox version 6.0.14 .

Hope it helps!

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan

Never got vagrant to work. Its a shame I am not able to complete any of the labs as a result.

Hi @Ramona_12915,

Can you please share the error message that you are getting now ?

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan