Lab Work vs lesson examples

Hi all,

I just wanted to get the community’s opinion on the difficulty of the lab work/homework vs the actual lesson examples. I seemed to quickly understand the lessons, but then when it came to the actual lab work, it takes me at least an hour to get the syntax correct in addition to learning new functions (e.g. setIntersection), or adding multiple stages to the pipeline.

I was just wondering if this experience was unique to me, or if others felt a “non-insignificant” increase in lab work difficulty? :slight_smile: I breezed through the M001 course, but the practice in M121 seems to be taking me upwards of an hour for each question (which I think might be too long) :frowning:

Thanks in advance, and happy learning!

Hi @Vikram_23738,

Thanks for sharing your experience!!

Aggregation is one of the Advanced concepts of MongoDB. From my experience, MongoDB university users have mixed kinds of opinions regarding labs in the course. Some of them find it easy whereas some people find it difficult.
For understanding Aggregation, practice is the key. I would recommend you to go through examples in the MongoDB documentation. It will help you understand the usage of stages and operators.

Moreover, feel free to share your pain points in the discussion forum, so that MongoDB staff and our amazing Users can help you out.

Please let me know, if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Sonali

A lot of the time, students are trying to use what they’ve just learned from prior lectures to answer a lab, only to discover that the lab requires more operators not yet covered. The example that @Vikram_23738 mentioned, setIntersection, is one such scenario.

The main feedback here is that, typically a lab would verify knowledge on what was previously covered in lectures, and in scenarios where a topic/operator/function was not covered in prior lectures, it should be clearly stated in the labs that new operators will need to be researched, and in addition, provide documentation to support this.

2 Likes