Issues while setting up vagrant when registered for two courses at once

Hi Team,

I have applied for two courses at once and both doing parallel. I am unable to set different VM for this course and m103. Downloaded the zip file but unable to get any result.

Error: Couldn’t open file E:/Course/base

Thanks

I was doing 3 at a time and was able to setup all VMs. Perhaps show a fuller error message.

did u install VM on your own or using course guidelines itself ???

Coz only 3 files are present in m301 zip file and I’m unable to start the 2 new VM required for it. so thought multiple courses might be the issue.

The initial setup ( i.e. MinGW, SSH etc) for all VMs is done once using the setup instructions in any one of the courses. After that, all you need to do is vagrant up and provision for each course.

The only problem I faced was with this course’s infrastructure VM but in the end it was an easy fix. Search the forums or post your install errors.

Hi @Gaurav_65978,

Please ensure that you are setting up your vagrant environments using the instructions mentioned in the respective courses.

On of the reasons for this error might be that you are doing vagrant up from incorrect vagrant environment folder.

Please re-check the steps mentioned in the courses for vagrant setup and if you still face any issues, share the error message and the command that you have run.

Please let me know, if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Sonali

Am just about to start this course, a week late but hope I can get caught up.

Is my M103 vagrant installation reused? I looked at this thread and it appears not. Not really adept at VM. My assumption would have been to reuse.

Not sure the reason to redo the install from scratch - does there need to be a de-install first?

As per above, you’ve already installed VirtualBox, vagrant, MinGW (for ssh and rsync) when you did M103 Basic Cluster Admin. There’s no need to re-install these components if you still have them.

So right at the bottom of the installation instructions for this course, you’re instructed to run the following:

But instead of vagrant up, include the name of the machine and run it one-by-one like so:

• vagrant up database
  • vagrant up infrastructure

You will encounter an error with the database machine, so look up the solution on the forum.

much thanks 007 - all seems now installed.
if you’ll indulge some questions:

• if the database provision failure is known/expected - why isn’t there a post on this point?
  • should I ask what it is - or maybe why it is - we have 2 vms: infrastructure / database ?? …is there a high level concept here? are we preparing to do a mock up of an organization’s infrastructure?.. doing things rote without an understanding of why makes me feel like I’m not in sync with things…

That’s a question for the guys and gals at MongoDB, @Sonali_Mamgain

Yes to simulating a real world example. And as this is an advanced course, it would appear as though there’s some expectation that course takers already have some grounding in this area.

Hi @007_jb @James_58604,

Glad to see the debugging steps in the posts above, Great Work :clap:

The vagrant seems to behave differently in the varied operating systems. For some of our users, instructions seems to work fine while for others it takes a lot of time to debug the issue.

We are also planning to launch upgraded version of the course soon, so we are not making a lot of changes here.

However, I will definitely look into this issue and create a step-wise instructions for such cases.

Thanks,
Sonali