Is it safe to delete the .pdb files while moving to production

I’m Trying to create a application which uses MongoDB. So I need to pack MongoDB with the setup, the size of MongoDB server for windows is about 254MB which is huge for a setup and downloading when the setup is running, so when checking found that .pdb files are large chunks that causing the issue.

When I check with internet found that these are optional files that are used during development and not during production, but it also contains dll and other stuffs required to debug.

I have run mongod by deleting the .pdb files, It runs with no issues. So is it safe to delete them and use ? will it cause any issues in future

Welcome to the community @magesh_70268!

You are right about pdb files. They are valuable in enabling debugging of compiled applications, and don’t need to be installed on end-user’s machine to make the app work.

However, I’m curious to know more about your use case here. Why not use a Atlas M0 free-tier instance instead of embedding mongod in the setup?

If you really have to embed the binaries, I suggest taking a look at Mongo2Go for dotnet apps.

Mahi

1 Like

Thanks for the help!

The application I’m creating requires offline support, so I’m using MongoDB Community server to store and sync the data later when user is online. I’m developing it for cross platforms, so I can’t depend on Mongo2Go

Magesh

Hi @magesh_70268,

You may also want to look into Realm Sync as a solution for offline data access with automatic data sync to a MongoDB Atlas cluster when an application has connectivity.

The Realm Database SDKs provide embeddable cross-platform client libraries with local database support, so you do not have to orchestrate running database server processes with your application. Realm Sync can be added to an offline-first application with a few lines of code. For example, using the Realm .NET SDK: Quick Start with Sync.

The Realm Sync service is part of MongoDB Realm, which includes access to some additional features like serverless functions and triggers. For more information see the MongoDB Realm Introduction for Backend Developers.

Regards,
Stennie

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.