Installing vagrant on windows

https://university.mongodb.com/mercury/M310/2020_July_21/chapter/Chapter_1_Authentication/lesson/5859a68260b582a61b0ce3cf/lecture

My question is related to the post above.
In that post we come across the below lines:

"Spin up the M310 Environments

We can now bring up our Vagrant machines. This course provides you with two VMs: database and infrastructure. You’ll spend most of your time using the database VM, but for certain labs you’ll use both the database and infrastructure VMs.

Go ahead and download the attached handout which contains the Vagrantfile and the associated provisioning scripts. After extracting the zip file you can run the following commands to setup the VMs.

cd m310-vagrant-env vagrant plugin install vagrant-vbguest
$ vagrant up

After vagrant up exits successfully you’ll have two VMs provisioned and up and running. You can confirm this by running vagrant status."

This explanation is about vagrant installation on windows but in the example shown above we see linux prompt I am confused to see linux cmd prompt in windows instalation.

Could you please let me know

After you setup VMs and login using vagrant ssh database or vagrant ssh infrastructure you will see Linux prompt
Though you are installing it on Windws your final working env is Linux based

1 Like

Hi @Ramachandra_37567,

Yes true. We have dollar prompt in linux environment.
But as long as you are in windows There should not be dollar prompt.

Vagrant provision on Windows 10 is failing with this error:

There was an error while executing VBoxManage, a CLI used by Vagrant
for controlling VirtualBox. The command and stderr is shown below.
Command: [“hostonlyif”, “create”]
Stderr: 0%…
Progress state: E_FAIL
VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to create the host-only adapter
VBoxManage.exe: error: Operation canceled by the user
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_FAIL (0x80004005), component VirtualBoxWrap, interface IVirtualBox
VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: “enum RTEXITCODE __cdecl handleCreate(struct HandlerArg *)” at line 94 of file VBoxManageHostonly.cpp

Need help understanding the issue

Check this link.Also search other threads on Vagrant issues in our forum

VBoxManage: error: Failed to create the host-only adapter

Resolved. I updated both Vagrant and Virtualbox to most recent versions to resolve this issue. As an aside, the provision-database file from the class 301 class zip file is missing the statement “ifconfig eth1 192.168.31.100 up”

1 Like

Hello
I’m running vagrant on Windows 10 and the “database” VM is really giving me a hard time.
Basically it will never run properly twice in a row, I mean after I shut down the machines (database and infrastructure) I’ll always have to destroy “database” before vagrant manages to have it up and running again. If I don’t destroy it vagrant will be stuck on:
database: Warning: Connection aborted. Retrying…
database: Warning: Remote connection disconnect. Retrying…

On the other hand, the “infrastructure” machine is fine, no problem, alas it is rarely required in homeworks for M310…

Hi @Patrick_Dutrevis,

Is there any specific reason for shutting down the virtual machines? If you just need to switch from infrastructure to database VM or vice versa, you can just exit from the current VM and ssh into another.

Destroying theVM will delete all the associated files and you will have to run vagrant up command for setting up the environment.

Can you elaborate your issue in detail so that I can try simulating and debugging it in my system?

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Sonali

Hi

The main reason for shutting down virtual machines is that I have to shut down my computer every evening, and sometimes and I have to restart it during my work-day in order to work on my regular tasks with Docker (which is not Virtual Box friend).
I cannot elaborate on my issue more than that, if I issue “vagrant halt database” and then try to run “vagrant up database” the VM will never make it passed an endless loop of :
database: Warning: Connection aborted. Retrying…
database: Warning: Remote connection disconnect. Retrying…
This never happens with infrastructure VM which can always be brought up after a simple halt.

That’s it.
But if a run “vagrant destroy database” instead of simply halting it, then it will be OK.
Sorry I can’t tell you more, I’m no vagrant/network interfaces/hypervisors expert.

Cheers