I need some help here

The problem I am running into is that I don’t really understand the first set up for this course. My main host is running windows 10 64. I already installed and configured Virtual Box, also installed the MinGW, now if I understand correctly, I have to install Ubuntu or any Linux version inside Virtual Box. Am I right up to this point?

One of the trainers will better help you Ernesto. But I’ll try. I’m using a win 10 host machine too. I’ve installed cygwin. It gives me a much better shell for linux oriented work as opposed to windows Power Shell or command line. So I don’t have the same directory structure as you, is what I’m trying to say. As instructed at https://university.mongodb.com/mercury/M103/2019_January/chapter/Chapter_0_Introduction_Setup/lesson/59f3524b573387e2caea7fbc/tab/59f35260573387e2caea7fbd, “navigate to the handout directory m103-vagrant-env in your terminal.” This I believe is where you’ve installed vagrant as instructed at https://university.mongodb.com/mercury/M103/2019_January/chapter/Chapter_0_Introduction_Setup/lesson/5a9b89e997182d4140a45ecb/tab/5a9b89e997182d4140a45ecc. You’ll should know if you’re in the right directory tree if the command “vagrant up” gets a response. (Should get message such as "bringing machine ‘mongo-m103’ up with ‘virtual box’ provider. If you open the virtual box gui you’ll see that you now have the vm running.) If it does (it will take a little time to load at first), you can then run vagrant ssh. This should give you a new linux prompt. If you get this far it’s a good idea to navigate up a couple of directories (cd …/…/) and list (ls in linux or dir in windows. I can use either with cygwin.) You might see a directory ‘shared’ and another ‘vagrant’. If you list the files in these you might recognise the same in your host machine. To go back to where you were, drill through the home directory and then vagrant directory. (this last vagrant director isn’t the same vagrant directory as mentioned before.) This seems all very confusing but I found I was more comfortable in what I was doing once I could navigate to the shared folder (I’ve named mine “project” but the name doesn’t matter) and the other directories referred to for logpath and storage path,
From the vagrant@m103:~$ prompt you issue your mongod commands with requisite options, namely, --port --bind_ip --dbpath and --auth. You don’t need to specify anything after the --auth. Assuming you don’t issue a fork option, you’ll need to open a second terminal window and vagrant up etc to access your mongo shell with the mongo command followed by the correct port as specified in your previous mongod command.
For authorisation code I find https://docs.mongodb.com/manual/tutorial/enable-authentication/ useful.

Thank you for that explanation Brian, I am completly new to Virtualization and all these concepts. I will try to follow the instructions

I got it done Brian. Thank you

1 Like

Spot on!

MongoU prefer to have students work in VMs, so they can’t accidentally break their own computer :slight_smile:

Thank you Tess, what I did not catch from the lecture and also from my lack of knowleage in the topicwas that Vagrant was going to do all this for me. lol

1 Like

Gentleman, where i can find the m103-vagrant-env directory?
I’m stuck on cp -r m103-vagrant-env/, it says that it cant find the directory.

It is a .zip file part of the handouts of Chapter 0.

thank you sir, for the information.
I was able to proceed with the configuration.