I am missing something - conf file location

I saved my conf files in C:\Users\debra\university\m103\m103-vagrant-env\shared, but I don’t think that’s right. Where do they really belong and how do I get them there?

Are you using Windows or Vagrant for your work?
If you are using vagrant they should be on vagrant box
config files can be placed anywhere where you have read/write privs.Just need to give full path when you start mongod
In your lectures/labs they specify where to keep the files.Follow as per that

I used notepad. Now that I am starting over from scratch I was trying to create them in vagrant from the vi editor. The problem is I cannot tell which directory I am in. I also am having trouble with seeing the prompt to save and exit the vi editor.

You can prepare config file contents in a notepad
Open a file by vi xyz.conf
paste the contents
save the file by :wq (esc colon)
pwd gives your current dir
ls ,ls -lrt can be used to list files
You should be able to see new file
by default when you login to vagrant box you will be in your home dir /home/vagrant

vagrant@m103:~$ pwd
/home/vagrant

I got to that part but now I have some vague syntax error:

storage:
dbPath: /var/mongodb/db/1
net:
bindIp: 192.168.103.100,localhost
port:27001
security:
auth: enabled
keyFile: /var/mongodb/pki/m103-keyfile
systemLog:
destination: file
path: /var/mongodb/db/mongod1.log
logAppend: true
replication:
replSetName: m103-repl

“agrant@m103:~ vagrant@m103:~ mongod -f mongod-repl-1.conf
Error parsing YAML config file: yaml-cpp: error at line 6, column 9: illegal map value
try ‘mongod --help’ for more information” I just changed authorization to auth - it did not make a diff :frowning:

Ok - I am at least back to where I started this morning. And finally - all three members show for rs.status()

Thank you so much. I have not used vi editor since the late 80s - I am really rusty.

Hi debra,

Whatever you need to vi, put in /shared and edit on Windows using Notepad++ :slight_smile: