How to follow along with Chapter 4: Cloud / Ops Manager

Hi all,

I’m confused in this lecture: MongoDB Agent (https://university.mongodb.com/mercury/M042/2019_June/chapter/Chapter_4_Cloud_Ops_Manager/lesson/5cfea9a7dafbce3692e12798/lecture).

At 1:14 in the lecture we are instructed to run this command from the[vagrant@m042 ~]$ VM:

sudo systemctl start mongodb-mms-autoation-agent.service

This fails with an error:

Failed to start mongodb-mms-autoation-agent.service: Unit not found.

Then @1:20 we’re supposed to jump into the UI to see if our agent is pinging back the Cloud Manager, but there is no connection string or conf file provided (that I can see) to connect the M042.university.mongodb database to the Atlas UI.

Are there some missing steps here, or maybe I’ve missed something?

Thanks-

PS - I’m also confused about this lecture in CH 3: Wildcard Index Type: Part 1(https://university.mongodb.com/mercury/M042/2019_June/chapter/Chapter_3_Indexes/lesson/5cf02867b2d9b37a24010aa5/lecture). At 2:24 in the lecture we’re supposed to take a look at the weather collection that was supposed to be loaded into Atlas Cluster using the sample data feature. Where are we supposed to retrieve the weather collection from? I don’t see any data available for download (so that I can do a Mongorestore, etc…) , and again, I don’t see any connection string or conf file that connects any data for this course directly to Atlas.

When I run mongod --fork --logpath mongod.log --bind_ip 192.168.42.100 + mongo --host 192.168.42.100 + show dbs, I do not see any pre-loaded data:

admin   0.000GB
config  0.000GB
local   0.000GB

The same thing happens if I shut down that instance and run mongod --fork --logpath mongod.log + mongo + show dbs:

admin   0.000GB
config  0.000GB
local   0.000GB

I am unable to follow along with chapters 2 & 3 of this course so far as a result.

Thanks again to anyone who can tell me if I have missed something:-)

Hey @juliettet

There is a slight spelling error in your command; however this does not change the fact that it gave me the same error with the correct spelling.
missingService1

Then I checked if it was in the provision file or listed under the list-units options with no success.

missingService

So I am not sure is I am now missing something or if the service is actually not installed in the VM.

However
As to your other issue I can help!

The sample data set is available when you create a new cluster on Atlas and go to the collections. There you will see the below screen.
sampleData

The list of available data can be found here

Then once Atlas has finished loading the sample data set you will see it available to you.

I hope this help you out @juliettet

I cannot wait to use the Charts! Those lessons were the most exciting of the course :exclamation:

1 Like

Hi @natac,

Thank you for taking the time to help me out!

Ah! Silly me (…should’ve had a bit more coffee before commenting here this morning). Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Then I checked if it was in the provision file or listed under the list-units options with no success

Thank you for posting the commands that are necessary to look into this. I am going to take note of them
for the sake of troubleshooting, should I face a similar issue in the future.

The sample data set is available when you create a new cluster on Atlas…

Awesome! Thanks for that and I appreciate the link to the sample data set.

I do have one (last) question: I already have a cluster (free tier) with a handful of applications
that I’ve been working on connected to it. Should I still go ahead and create another cluster, even though I already have one running? I just want to make sure, as I don’t want to loose any data that resides in my current cluster.

Happy Sunday :smiley:

Hi again,

Disregard my last question. I was able to create a new (separate) cluster for this class.

I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to do that (on the free tier), but it appears that I can.

Cheers:-)

1 Like