Homework 1.6 Authentication Failed

I am getting Authentication failed after creating adam user for Homework 1.6
I am able to run the testsaslauthd command successfully

0: vagrant@database:~/M310-HW-1.6$ sudo chmod 755 /var/run/saslauthd/
vagrant@database:~/M310-HW-1.6$ testsaslauthd -u adam -p password -f /var/run/saslauthd/mux
0: OK "Success."

I start my replSets with the necessary parameters to enable ldap mechanism (I believe)

REDACTED

I am able to connect, initiate the replSet primary and create the adam user

However when I attempt to authenticate I am getting:

MongoDB Enterprise hw16Repl:PRIMARY> db.getSiblingDB("$external").auth({ mechanism: "PLAIN", user: "adam", pwd: "password", digestPassword: false})
Error: Authentication failed.

I have completely removed the dbs and attempted again making sure I wasn’t missing anything or having any typos but I get the same result. I did run the setup file on the infrastructure server as well and I even changed the password using the python command to webscale and back to password. If I attempt to run the setup again it states everything already exists, which indicates it ran correctly the first time.

In case it helps here is my saslauthd.conf

ldap_servers: ldap://infrastructure.m310.mongodb.university
ldap_search_base: ou=Users,dc=mongodb,dc=com
ldap_filter: (cn=%u)

I have watched the relevant video a few times again to make sure I wasn’t missing anything but I am stumped.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Hi Chris ,

I had to redact a lot of your post - we don’t want to post answers or potential answers.

I would double check that you can still successfully run testsaslauthd.

Depending on your steps - whether you’ve stopped and started sessions/VMs permission may have been reset or ldap service may have stop on infrastructure, etc.

Note / Hint : I don’t believe the following hint is your issue as posted above; however I did noticed an issue that would have appeared once you’ve authenticated, so keep in mind that LDAP is an external authentication mechanism only.

Hope this helps,

David

1 Like

Sorry for potentially sharing answer info, I will try and keep an eye on that in the future!

Found my issue was with a tiny little typo :confused: (saslauthdb needed to be saslauthd in my mongod initilization) after fixing that I was able to add the user and authenticate in mongo.

However, now when I attempt to run the validation script I get the below which is reported as wrong for the homework, so hopefully since it is confirmed wrong won’t be a problem to have posted here. I can successfully run testsaslauthd, connect to each member of the replSet and they show the correct member state, I can authenticate with the ldap server using adam and authentication will fail if I change the password on the ldap server and attempt to use an old password with mongo which shows mongod is connecting properly to ldap. I am not sure why the validation would be failing since everything seems to be working as requested by the homework.
I noticed that it mentions Failed to connect to 127.0.0.1:31160 but I use database.m310.mongodb.university for the host everywhere, would this be a problem?

vagrant@database:~/shared$ ./validate-hw-1.6.sh
exception: connect failed
exception: connect failed
{ unauthorizedStatus: 2018-11-19T15:50:16.057+0000 W NETWORK [thread1] Failed to connect to 127.0.0.1:31160, in(checking socket for error after poll), reason: errno:111 Connection refused 2018-11-19T15:50:16.058+0000 E QUERY [thread1] Error: couldn't connect to server 127.0.0.1:31160, connection attempt failed : connect@src/mongo/shell/mongo.js:231:14 @(connect):1:21, memberStatuses: 2018-11-19T15:50:16.118+0000 W NETWORK [thread1] Failed to connect to 127.0.0.1:31160, in(checking socket for error after poll), reason: errno:111 Connection refused 2018-11-19T15:50:16.118+0000 E QUERY [thread1] Error: couldn't connect to server 127.0.0.1:31160, connection attempt failed : connect@src/mongo/shell/mongo.js:231:14 @(connect):1:21 }

Hi Chris,

Glad you found that typo !

I usually associate that message to not having a server running on that port.

What is the output of rs.status() ?

Thanks

David

Here is the rs.status()

MongoDB Enterprise hw16Repl:PRIMARY> rs.status()
{
	"set" : "hw16Repl",
	"date" : ISODate("2018-11-19T20:14:09.654Z"),
	"myState" : 1,
	"term" : NumberLong(1),
	"heartbeatIntervalMillis" : NumberLong(2000),
	"members" : [
		{
			"_id" : 0,
			"name" : "database.m310.mongodb.university:31160",
			"health" : 1,
			"state" : 1,
			"stateStr" : "PRIMARY",
			"uptime" : 17102,
			"optime" : {
				"ts" : Timestamp(1542641650, 4),
				"t" : NumberLong(1)
			},
			"optimeDate" : ISODate("2018-11-19T15:34:10Z"),
			"electionTime" : Timestamp(1542641395, 1),
			"electionDate" : ISODate("2018-11-19T15:29:55Z"),
			"configVersion" : 1,
			"self" : true
		},
		{
			"_id" : 1,
			"name" : "database.m310.mongodb.university:31161",
			"state" : 2,
			"stateStr" : "SECONDARY",
			"uptime" : 17065,
			},
			"lastHeartbeat" : ISODate("2018-11-19T20:14:08.867Z"),
			"lastHeartbeatRecv" : ISODate("2018-11-19T20:14:08.499Z"),
			"pingMs" : NumberLong(0),
			"syncingTo" : "database.m310.mongodb.university:31162",
			"configVersion" : 1
		},
		{
			"_id" : 2,
			"name" : "database.m310.mongodb.university:31162",
			"state" : 2,
			"stateStr" : "SECONDARY",
			"uptime" : 17065,
			},
			"lastHeartbeat" : ISODate("2018-11-19T20:14:08.867Z"),
			"lastHeartbeatRecv" : ISODate("2018-11-19T20:14:09.447Z"),
			"pingMs" : NumberLong(0),
			"syncingTo" : "database.m310.mongodb.university:31160",
			"configVersion" : 1
		}
	],
	"ok" : 1
}

Thanks again for the help!

Hi Chris,

Everything looks good on your replica set cluster and it seems you can connect, authenticate, and run rs.status from the mongo shell - so why can’t the validate script do the same ?

And you’re executing the validate script on the database server ? It’s like you have two different database hosts. Very odd. I don’t think it’s anything to do with the mongods or saslauthd. If you want you can private message with the mongod options, I believe if you click on my “D” icon there is a link to send message.

David

Hey David,
I think I figured it out. I had to update the validation file to use the --host option. Also, it wouldn’t let me message you but perhaps it won’t be needed now.
I had a suspicion this might be the case as the info of needing to specify a host came up in another lesson but wasn’t actually mentioned on the homework or in the videos(I think I got that from you on a different answer maybe). After having the script use the host I get the desired response and confirm that it shows as the correct answer on the homework.
Here is the new validate-hw-1.6.sh:

#!/bin/bash

primaryPort=31160
host="database.m310.mongodb.university"

username="adam"
password="webscale"

statusStr="var status = rs.status();
           delete status.codeName;
           print(JSON.stringify(status))"
memberStr="db = db.getSisterDB('\$external');
           db.auth({
             mechanism: 'PLAIN',
             user: '$username',
             pwd: '$password',
             digestPassword: false
           });
           var status = rs.status();
           var statuses = status.members.map((member) => (member.stateStr)).sort();
           print(JSON.stringify(statuses));"

function mongoEval {
  local port=$1
  local script=$2
  local host=$3
  echo `mongo --quiet --port $port --host $host --eval "$script"`
}

function getUnauthorizedStatus {
  local port=$1
  local host=$2
  echo $(mongoEval $port "$statusStr" $host)
}

function getMemberStatuses {
  local port=$1
  local host=$2
  echo $(mongoEval $port "$memberStr" $host)
}

echo "{ unauthorizedStatus: $(getUnauthorizedStatus $primaryPort $host), memberStatuses: $(getMemberStatuses $primaryPort $host) }"

Since I used the --host option when creating my mongod instances and that caused the homework to fail initially, should I have not done that?

Thanks again,
Chris

Hi Chris,

I’m glad you got it working !

If you’re referring to the bind_ip option it’s a good security practice to implement. Note: In this class we’re using MongoDB 3.2 the default behavior for this option was changed beginning in 3.6.

bind_ip

As for this class and the validation scripts whether it will be an issue will depend on the assignments and what IP/hostname you’re using. With that in mind you may decide not to use the option for the assignments.

David

you could also use comma separated list of domains include localhost, like:
– bind_ip `database.m310.mongodb.university, localhost

This entire dialog was really valuable. Thanks Christopher_79126 for asking the right questions, and dschupp for your responses.

1 Like