Hey all, Doug here

Hi all, my name is Doug and I’ve been working with MongoDB off an on since the 1.8 days. In my current role I don’t do much database work, but I do act as an internal consultant for teams running MongoDB and Cassandra.

Fun facts:

• I spent two years working with the education team as a TA for several of the online University courses.
  • I was a part of the MongoDB Masters program.
  • I was awarded the first MongoDB Administrator’s Certification.
  • I’m a Colorado native and have never been downhill skiing

I hope to share what knowledge I can and look forward to learning from everyone.

11 Likes

Welcome @Doug_Duncan! Looking forward to catching up and sharing in this community with you!

Looking forward to it @Michael_Grayson!

Hey @Doug_Duncan good to see you here! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s great to see you around as well @Adamo_Tonete!

Hi @Doug_Duncan! Welcome to the forums. Really looking forward to working together & glad you are here! :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forums @Doug_Duncan, it sounds like you’ve got the experience our community needs.
I look forward to seeing you around here.

If I ever come to Colorado downhill skiing is probably the first thing I’ll do :slight_smile: :skier:

1 Like

Hello @Doug_Duncan,

happy to see you around :slight_smile:, quite some time since the Advocate Hub.

Michael

2 Likes

Hi @Doug_Duncan, I remember when you were a teaching assistant on one of the MongoDB introductory courses that I took. Maybe more than one? I’m still a MongoDB user. And I really ought to sign up for additional classes soon – and I need to finish the aggregation course I had started long ago but somehow paused.

Thanks so much

Bob

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland

4 Likes

Hi @Robert_Cochran great to see you around here. It’s been a long time since the days I was a TA over at MongoDB University. I’m glad to see former students here still using MongoDB after all this time.

I know what you mean about getting back over there to take more courses. They’ve introduced a lot of new ones over the past couple of years.

2 Likes

Hi @Robert_Cochran,
unfortunately the TA program is stopped. However this does not mean that the quality is lost, they worked a lot one the MDB university and improved it all over the place.
Michael

2 Likes

hi Doug, glad to see you here, you really were great at what you were doing, learnt alot during those courses :wave:
You might not remember me, but it put a smile on my face to see you on this forum, back then when i took those courses for the first time, i was from a “place”, where i was verbally called “a stupid woman working on stupid projects with stupid technologies” (a few of my projects were using Mongodb as the database as i had came across a mongodb pdf and felt in love with it…), and never received any consideration for my interest in open technologies, and it had been years i hadn’t received any normal feedback from someone who was supposed to spread knowledge and just teach or simply reply to e-mails the way teachers are supposed to, and the way those courses were given, learning so much in such a short amount of time, TA, you, answering to every question and every e-mail, really helped me in keeping what i had sworn to myself ( that i was going to be an expert in mongoDB, build a career around it and show him how stupid i was…) that day that man told me that (after crying for hours in a park as he had jeopardized a few of my plans)…You really great at spreading your passion for mongodb and just don’t change your style of answering to those e-mails, because i was used to being hindered from learning or not being considered at all and trust me it did feel good to not only be considered but have someone who answers to e-mails by pushing you even further…

3 Likes

:wave: Hi @Lilia_Rigumye! I’m glad to see you here as well. I am glad that I was able to help you out on your path. My email is always open should you have questions or just want to talk.

4 Likes

Hi Doug
My name is Stefano from Italy. I am currently studying for DBA certification. Could you please tell me if an Ops Manager knowledge is requested ?? Thanks

1 Like

Welcome to the community @Stefano_Cinquegranel! It has been a very long time since I took the MongoDB DBA certification (I was one of the original people to take it when it was still in beta back in 2013). The university site has a study guide and practice exams that you can reference. Those would be the most up to date places to look for whats on the exam.

Best of luck in your studies and on passing the exam!

3 Likes