Geospacial 'is not necessarily a data type'

On the video lesson on Geospacial at minute 2:22 our instructor makes the statement that geospacial “is not a a value type per say” but in the quiz it is defined as such. Need clarification on this.

I agree, the question was confusing since it was asking which data “types” were supported…which I don’t think geospatial is directly supported. I only selected it because they made a point to discuss it rather thoroughly in the video.

I got the impression they just wanted to let us know we can use MongoDB to store geospatial data but also that it was in the form of an object composed of a type:“Point” and array of doubles (or however the locations were stored, I don’t remember).

1 Like

Hi @Melakeselam_Moges_Mengistu_42275 and @paragonss,

In the video Lecture: MongoDB Documents: Geospatial Data, the instructor said : While geospatial is not a value type per se, using document structures-- such as the one we're looking at here-- MongoDB provides far reaching support for geospatial data.

Geospatial is not a value type per se means this is not an internal data type in MongoDB. However, MongoDB and Compass recognizes this type of data and provide specialized support. It is easier to work with this type of data in MongoDB because of the the built-in support and functionalities provided .

I hope it helps. If you still have any other question, please feel free to get back to us.

Happy Learning :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan
Curriculum Support Engineer