Frustrated - teaching myself by trial and error

I took and passed the M101J course using Eclipse and was able to navigate that intuitively no problem.
This course M220J, I am not starting off well. Not sure where to start to explain…
I got the data loaded on Atlas, and the app running on Eclipse, and able to view the app on browser.
Class seems to be catered heavily towards intellij.

Frustrations:

1. Within Eclipse, JUnit test are not all working.
  2. At the cmd line window, if I run all the test (take Eclipse out of the picture) I still do not get all the test to run using “mvn test”
  3. I am stuck at " Chapter 0: Introduction and Setup ### README" section, because not all test are running.

I decided to go ahead, and click the “Proceed to the Next Section” green button at the bottom, even though JUnit test are not all running, and I finally see a couple of videos on the prior section that I am stuck on, and did not want to proceed because I had not completed Chapter 0.

I get to a video called " Chapter 1: Driver Setup ### Introduction to Chapter 1" and it starts off by him saying we have already covered all the “book keeping for this course” … I must of missed it.
The book keeping - where are my quiz results, how many quizzes, or chapters in this course, how is the course graded, homework weight and turning in deadlines, scoring…??? This course navigation layout is not that intuitive to me.

On the application.properties file, It would be cleaner to have labeled it for us to fill in our URI, instead of like this:
spring.mongodb.uri=mongodb+srv://YOUR_CLUSTER_URI

to this:
spring.mongodb.uri=mongodb+srv://m220student:m220password@<YOUR_CLUSTER_URI>

I am frustrated, feels like I am teaching myself by trial and error, instead of being taught by an instructor. I had the same experience in M101J, but stuck with it.
Price is right on this course, but gosh I just do not like the “you go figure it out pattern” of teaching it is just so so time consuming. …did I mention frustration.

The discussion board, … I am confused, is this our class discussions/post, there are post dating back before our class started, do those post still apply, or was the class content addressed and clarified so those old post are no longer relevant?
Wally

1 Like

I need help to connect to cluster from the IDE.
The connecting-string is definitely right, because I can connect from the terminal/shell but not with application-properties. What is wrong? I can’t finde this string nowhere: For input string: “a62:807:c901:a574:bff2:2783:4479”

I get the following Error-Message: Unsatisfied dependency expressed through constructor parameter 0; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name ‘mongoClient’ defined in class path resource [mflix/config/MongoDBConfiguration.class]: Bean instantiation via factory method failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Failed to instantiate [com.mongodb.client.MongoClient]: Factory method ‘mongoClient’ threw exception; nested exception is java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: “a62:807:c901:a574:bff2:2783:4479”

@Maria_84440, your post is not related to @Wally’s post. You should post it to its own thread.

@Wally, some of the old posts are still relevant. But fell free to post your questions.

Hi @Maria_84440,

Please check your connection string in application.properties file. Also, make sure your JDK version is updated.

Kanika

Hi kanikasingla,
thank you very much for your answer. I found the reason of the problem, it is my network. I could run the application in another network and it works really fine. I can’t understand the mystery of my network.

Glad to hear that!
It must be the firewall issue which is very common if someone is working from their office network/system.

Kanika

1 Like