Failing to be able to run a local mongod process, /data/db not found error

I am trying to run mongod in one terminal and then in another terminal, mongo to connect. From my home directory:

kevinturney ~ $ mongod

From what I understand, since macOS Catalina, root permissions are restricted. I tried creating /data/db and the result:

mkdir: /data/db: Read-only file system

I then tried this Medium post on creating /data/db in System

I uninstalled and reinstalled, tried stackoverflow and am completely stuck. How do do I sort this out?

All directories accessed by mongod must be writable by the user with which you start it.

By default mongod uses /data/db to store its data. In your case, I suspect your username is kevinturney, so /data/db should be owned and be writable by user kevinturney.

More details at https://docs.mongodb.com/guides/server/install/

That is right.In Macos /data/db access is removed
In the link you shared it asks you to create the dir under /System/Volumes
Did you try that?Once dir is created you need to update the new dirpath in your mongodb config file

What I wound up doing was to create the data/db in my home directory. I also created the mongod.conf file:

Creating the dir in System/Volumes according to the article did not work for me.
When I started the daemon: mongod --dbpath=/Users/kevinturney/data/db and in another terminal tab, mongo, the processes started and the shell opened with no problems. With this configuration am I in good shape or are there problems with where I placed my directories that I don’t know about?

When you start with

mongod --dbpath=/Users/kevinturney/data/db

you so not use the configuration file.

I think the quotes in the configuration might cause an issue if you ever use -f or –config to start mongod.

You should not have any issues with storing the data in you home directory.