ERROR: child process failed, exited with 1

I could successfully complete the Lab: Logging to a Different Facility in the inbrowser IDE. However when I am trying this on my local system I am getting the error shown above. Any help is greatly appreciated.

My config file is as shown below:

hi,

What happens if processManagemement.fork are removed (both) ?

When I comment out those two lines in the config file and then run “mongod -f /opt/local/etc/mongodb/mongod.conf”, nothing happens. I just get the cursor back.
When I launch mongod with the default settings, it works. But when I am using the config file to launch, it is not working.

And is there anything in the logfile now?

No. The log file is not created when I try to launch with mongod -f /opt/local/etc/mongodb/mongod.conf

and now I am unable to launch with the default settings also. Getting this:

It says failed to unlink socket at /tmp/mongodb-27017.sock you can remove that file, and test again.

Deleting the .sock file worked :slight_smile: Thank you!

But still unable to launch mongod with the config file :pensive:

No worries.

You may not have permissions to read or write from the directories you’re linking. Please check ls -l on logPath and dbPath, they should exist or must be created.

This is the listing for the dbPath:

and getting this for the logPath:

So you can create the log path like so:

mkdir -p /var/log/mongodb/

The log file is created automatically.

You’ll probably get a new error, but try to do that first.

As Santiago_Miranda mentioned it is permissions issue
It is unable to create logile in /var/log/mongodb
I think it is owned by root
So you have to use sudo privs to allow mongod to write or choose a different logpath dir where you can write

@Rati_Pillai

If you run mongo alone, and the server is running on port 27000 it will return an error, because the default is 27017

You need to run mongo --port 27000

What I was trying to get at is:

1. Look at the logs either logfile or console
  2. check permissions
  3. don’t run as sudo unless you’re running localhost

( What I normally do, is to create all folders under my home folder
/home/santi/mongo and make sure to issue chown to own the directories. Then you don’t need sudo. )

The process is tedious, but is very logical, you will be able to sort it out :slight_smile:

Yes, I figured it out but couldn’t reply because of the restriction in the number of replies for a first time user.

Anyways thank you :pray: @Santiago_Miranda and @Ramachandra_37567 once again for all you help and patience! Yes, It is logical and quite clear now but I still don’t know why the --fork option is not working. Any ideas?

What is the new directory you wrote in the logPath ?

Does it exist (use ls to check) ? Otherwise needs to be created, probably using sudo.

The log path is getting created. and the --fork option is also working :clap: :clap:

Thank you once again @Santiago_Miranda :pray:

Alright, I’m happy too :slight_smile: , but please take the time to read about permissions, and basic command line in Unix. It’s very very useful.

Yes, I did that yesterday. and planning to learn in detail now. I am new to DB administration, or any administration for that matter :slight_smile:

1 Like