Docker + NodeJS + Alpine Distro + CSFLE & mongodb-enterprise-cryptd

So we have successfully deployed docker containers based on the Node JS Official Debian Buster image with some helpful instructions by (@wan Is Client-Side Field Level Encryption supported with Atlas? - #5 by Stennie_X). Naturally the official debian image results in a 1GB container, the solution to this is to use the Alpine linux package. Alpine, being a base image does not come with all the dependencies required to install the mongocryptd process. Does anyone have any experience getting this process to run or getting it installed in alpine linux?

David

Hi @David_Stewart,

Have you tried customising the node:slim image up to specification?

Its only ~50MB larger than node:alpine.

1 Like

Hey Chris! We have not, will likely need to also install some dependencies in order to get the mongocryptd process installed. I am hoping to get back on it tonight and will report back.

David

Hi @David_Stewart,

Currently mongocryptd is not supported on Alpine Linux, I’ve opened an issue tracker SERVER-49140 for this. Feel free to add yourself as a watcher or up-vote the ticket to receive notification on it.

That’s not only because of Debian though, very likely because there are other things on top of it. You can try other glibc images, for example the base Docker image for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is only ~64MB total, it’s bigger than Alpine but still quite small. Try to combine the layers to reduce the size, and remove unneeded dependencies if possible.

Regards,
Wan.

1 Like

Thanks for the update Wan, I was able to get the docker image running on the slim version of debian as @chris recommended. I am going to do a bit more testing then will posts it up on the forum for others.

David

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.