Difference between Enterprise and Community Server, and will they conflict if both are installed?

I am following the video “Installing the mongo Shell” in Chapter 2.

First, I would like to know the difference between the Enterprise and Community Servers.

Secondly, I have previously installed MongoDB (I believe it was the Community Server, but I don’t know how to verify) several months ago. It exists in a folder called “mongodb”, and this folder is located in my /usr/local directory, not in my home directory.

Furthermore, I had edited my .bash_profile file several months ago to export the PATH to point towards this file.

Since I was just instructed to install the Enterprise version in my home directory, and edit my .bash_profile to point towards this new version of mongo, there are now two separate mongo directories on my computer. Are these two mongo folders conflicting? Since they both contain /bin directories, which hold executables with similar names (like mongo), which one is running when I type the mongo --nodb command?

When I type mongo --nodb, the terminal responds MongoDB shell version v4.0.5, and since my older mongo install is a lower version, I can see that my older version of mongo is being ignored by this command. Should I delete my older mongo directory in my /usr/local?

Hi Damon_Bolesta_86576,

Welcome to M001! Lets go one by one:

1. I would like to share the knowledge from Stennie, Director: Technical Services.

The MongoDB Enterprise Advanced data sheet highlights additional features versus the Community Edition of MongoDB.

Core server features for developers are generally the same, but a MongoDB Enterprise subscription includes additional operational and management features, a commercial license (warranty & indemnification), as well as access to proactive support and on-demand training.

Some specific product additions are: advanced security options (auditing, log redaction, Kerberos, LDAP), additional storage engines (encrypted and in-memory), management tools (Cloud/Ops Manager), MongoDB Connector for BI, and the full version of MongoDB Compass (includes features not in Compass Community edition such as Enterprise authentication support, schema analysis, real time server stats, and document validation).

That said, we highly recommend you to use enterprise version for the course.

2. You can check by running this command: The modules key:value pair will indicate.

$ mongod --version
      db version v4.0.3
      git version: 7ea530946fa7880364d88c8d8b6026bbc9ffa48c
      allocator: system
      modules: enterprise 
      build environment:
      distarch: x86_64
      target_arch: x86_64

3. Its upto you, no harm in removing the physical directory from /usr/local if you are sure that is the directory for older version and you don’t want to use it anymore.

Kanika

3 Likes

Thank you for your informative and helpful reply!