Compass: localhost or Atlas?

I had imported people.json into a node on localhost…should I have done that instead to my class Atlas sandbox?? - - not sure the direction of future courses…

for localhost I think I need ssh info…since I get to mongo via vagrant with the ssh command… or am I wrong on this…not familiar at all with VM infrastructure…

From what I remember there’s no VM/vagrant requirement for this course. What do the instructions say about where to import it into?

I don’t think it says … just to be sure to create db M201 and put the collection in there…
will relook but am pretty sure I would have noted a specific destination

I think when I took the course I imported it into both places. Just for ease of access.

I am infrastructure challenged…
A1. open Compass - default New Connection connect-to-host values - don’t enter or edit anything (no auth) and it connects to localhost 27017

A2. disconnect Compass, then at vagrant prompt ~$
mongo
OR
mongo --port 27017
…connection refused

B1. had set up a standalone node localhost for class M201 on port 27201 - - and connect from vagrant prompt with auth…have used this for import of people collection homework so far…

B2. using Compass with port 27201 and user/pw info - connection refused…

Remember what I mentioned earlier, there’s no vagrant requirement. If the course setup instructions doesn’t mention setting up a vagrant environment, then you should be trying to connect from vagrant. You should be working from your local machine on localhost.

Create a m201 db on localhost and import your dataset into that db. Then you can connect via Compass with default values.

…huh…that kind of baffles me and why I say I am infrastructure challenged… is not the mongo enterprise install done way back in M103 entirely inside the VM?..that’s a rhetorical in that it reflects what I think…and the term ‘requirement’ - its an option? - I definitely don’t understand that given my general disorientation on this topic thinking the only path to mongo enterprise from my win10 world is via vagrant/vm…

Yep, M103 is done in a VM but this course M201 doesn’t use a VM. There are actually instructions of what is required. It says to install the Enterprise edition of MongoDB… no mention of a VM or vagrant.

You need to install your own Enterprise version of MongoDB on your local machine and carry on with the rest of the instructions. Disconnect your M103 installation experience from this course’s M201 installation.

yeah in taking 001, 103 and 201 back to back it didn’t cross my mind of another install…had assumed those instructions were for students jumping direct into 201 maybe had been working with Mongo at work and had skipped 001, 103…

Every course has install requirements. There might be crossovers but there will most definitely be something specific to the course so it’s good to check what’s required when you pick up another course.

Good luck :wink: