Chapter 1 - Setting up the Vagrant Environment

Hi, I am going the M103 course and I am facing issue with locating the Vagrant installation on MacOS.

Its showing me the below error when trying to copy the with Vagrant environment (m103-vagrant-env/) to the folder ~/university/m103/

Command: $ cp -r m103-vagrant-env/ ~/university/m103/

Error - “m103-vagrant-env - no such file or directory”

please help how to resolve this.

Thanks and Regards
Anil

Hi @Anil_Kumar_55978,

Most likely you are running this command in the wrong directory. Please make sure that you are able to see the m103-vagrant-env directory listed in the output of the ls command.

If you are not comfortable working with command line then you can copy-paste the directory using the GUI interface.

Hope it helps!

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan
Curriculum Services Engineer

Thanks Shubham.

Can you share the path to the directory or how do I get to the GUI interface?

image001.jpg

Have you already setup the vagrant environment using the commands in the installation guide? What exactly is the objective of what you’re doing?

I don’t recall there being a need to copy any folders in this course.

Hi @Anil_Kumar_55978,

It’s fine. you can just download this file - m103/m103-vagrant-env.zip in your home directory -> Unzip it -> cd into the m103-vagrant-env folder and then run these commands.

m103-vagrant-env$ vagrant up

m103-vagrant-env$ vagrant provision

m103-vagrant-env$ vagrant ssh

Hope it helps!

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan

Thanks Shubham.

I read through the Handouts and I was able to figure out the solution to the problem.

But thanks a lot for your help and support, and will keep in touch when needed.

image001.jpg

It would be nice if you could share the solution you figured out. It might help other learners when searching this forum when they get the same issue.

1 Like

Hi – As I mentioned that I looked at the Handouts and followed the steps that was mentioned and it’s the same what Shubham mentioned in his email.

image001.jpg

Hi,

I am doing the M312 Course session and I am facing the below issue in general.

I have my machine IP whitelisted in Mongo Atlas but still I am not able to launch Mongod or Mongo commands.

Kindly help.

image001.jpg

When you see MongoDB …:PRIMARY>, it is the mongo shell and by the URI specified you are connected to an Atlas cluster. You should type the command mongo outside the mongo shell.

Thanks. I have done it now but still I am getting some other error. Am I doing something wrong in my commands?

image001.jpg

It looks like mongod is not running on localhost. You have to start mongod first.

Thanks.

May I seek your help on how to start the Mongod because I am somehow lost executing all the known commands and nothing is working.

image001.jpg

I really cannot explain better than what it is shown in the lessons. You could go back to chapter 0 and listen to all lessons and redo all the quiz.

Edited to provide the following link https://docs.mongodb.com/manual/reference/program/

1 Like

Thanks @steevej-1495.

Hi @Anil_Kumar_55978,

Please watch the first lecture in Chapter 1: The Mongod. It will clear some of your doubts.

As @steevej-1495 mentioned in his post, you need to have a mongod instance running before you can connect to it using the mongo command.

Hope it helps!

Please let me know if you still have any questions.

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan

Thanks Shubham.

Chapter 1 of which which course?

T

Regards

Anil

Hi @Anil_Kumar_55978,

M103: Basic Cluster Administration

Guys (@Shubham_Ranjan, @steevej-1495), not sure if you noticed that from post #9 it’s an M312 topic.

@Shubham_Ranjan, wouldn’t you split this up from post #9 onwards into a new thread in M312?

I did not notice but the recommendation of going back to

still stand as in M312 the difference between mongo, mongod, ‘vagrant’ shell and mongo shell should be well understood. It is clearly not the case here.

I’m talking more from an administrative point of view :slight_smile: